I couldnt help but read this one...
I too had the power cord fail... I purchased a replacement on Ebay...It lasted 2 weeks, frayed, and then actually shorted the mains lead & caught fire!!! I was lucky that i was electrocuted or the fire took hold. I contacted the supplier & they offered a full refund. Anyway, i then purchased a universal supply from the local Jaycar store. The Adaptor is a "bronet". The problem i had was that there are a variety of plugs (interchangeable), I plugged one it that fitted, however the laptop battery seemed to not hold charge & would only function when plugged into mains. I noticed there was an almost identical Plug in the kit. I swapped the plug over & now it works fine. (two almost identical plugs - one works & the other doesnt)
Not sure if this helps...Regards