Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

New Ram has stopped working.

This is a discussion on New Ram has stopped working. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, I recently purchased some new RAM for my computer (G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C8 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit)

Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey,

I recently purchased some new RAM for my computer (G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C8 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit) to replace my computers current 3GB.

It arrived yesterday so I decided to hook it up, on starting my computer with the new RAM in it worked fine and everything was great so I got on with the day and went back later to play some swtor. After playing for a good 2 hours my screen suddenly froze and the picture when all distorted with lines of pink and blue mainly, I turned off my computer and turned it back on to be faced with an options screen to either system repair or start windows as normal.

I've now tried both options, running the system repair will give me a BSOD and the start windows as normal will just get me back to the same screen again.

I tried this a couple more times thinking it could have been something other than the new RAM but on putting my old sticks back in it worked fine.

So I'm wondering if there's anything I can do this fix this issue, thanks for the help.

Thought I should leave my system information here, if there's anything else I can post to help just ask please:
System Model - Compaq-Presario VN450AA-ABU CQ5231UK

Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

Processor - 2.93 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)

Drives - ST3500418AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9VM5Q088, rev HP34, SMART Status: Healthy

Motherboard -
Board: FOXCONN ETON 1.0
Bus Clock: 1066 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.05 09/25/2009

Memory - 3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Display - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series [Display adapter]

Thanks for any feedback in advance

Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hello, does seem the RAM is faulty, you can run memtest Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool boot from disk and use it on each individual stick. If the RAM is faulty there's not much you can do other than send it back.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

1333MHz RAM is compatible with your Mobo but OEM PC's often have compatibility issues with RAM. The best option for OEM and lower tier Mobo's is Crucial brand RAM for compatibility.
If MemTest shows no errors, running one stick at a time and letting it make several passes, then incompatibility is a likely issue.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for the fast replies. I tried the Memtest and it racked up alot of errors. I'm just wondering what options I have can I just replace the motherboard or will I need to replace most of the main components?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

You only need to replace the RAM, that's the component at fault nothing else.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Replacing the Mobo in an OEM PC is not a good option and can get expensive.
For starters, the I/O plate is commonly not removable so you need a case. The OS is tied to the Mobo so you need an OS. Those, as well as several other reasons, are why we very rarely suggest purchasing OEM PC's.
My best advice is to return the RAM and have it replaced with Crucial to avoid possible compatibility issues.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

I was wondering as Tyree mentioned that OEM PCs have issues with ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
1333MHz RAM is compatible with your Mobo but OEM PC's often have compatibility issues with RAM.
So is there away I can keep the ram and just change my motherboard?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok thanks just read your message Tyree, Ill most likely return the ram then and go to crucial. Thanks for the help guys :)
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

You're welcome. Best of luck and please post back with any results.