Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My RAM will be fully compatible, am I right?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Bill_Bright 
#1 ·
Hi,

This year for Christmas I'm considering upgrading my current processor and motherboard. The upgrade will be the following:

From (Current):

Mobo: Gigabyte M68MT-S2 (rev 3.1)
CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 3.4GHz

To (Upgrade):

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k 3.4GHz

I know a decent amount about RAM, but it's likely my weakest point of hardware knowledge. I'm currently using 8GB (2x4) RAM, likely 1333MHz, won't be lower, if any higher it'll be 1600MHz. Can't remember the brand.

What I'm saying... or asking is, it will work fine, without any issues right? Thanks.

Also, is the new motherboard much larger than my current? If yes, will it still fit in my case: (Zalman Z11 Plus)

Thank-you.

See less See more
#2 ·
The best I can say is . . . probably. GA-Z97-HD3 supports both PC3-10666 (1333MHz) and PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DIMMs in 2, 4 and 8GB packages. However, it occasionally happens that certain DIMMs will just not play nice with certain motherboard/CPU combinations. The best part is that there is usually no way to foresee any issues until you mount the memory.

Find the full part number(s) of the DIMMs and compare to those listed on the memory QVL of your proposed motherboard (found on the manufacturer's support pages). Not being on the list doesn't specifically mean the DIMM will not work, only that it has not been tested. But if it is listed, you can be reasonably certain they will work.

Memory QVL for Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

#3 ·
It seems to me you should be fine, both boards support 1333-1600 without OC.

A mini-ATX motherboard is a slightly smaller variation of a full ATX size that measures 11.2" x 8.2". The main difference between ATX and the mini-ATX is the number of bus and possibly memory slot on the motherboard. Mounting holes for both are located in the same place, making them interchangeable in most cases. A case that supports an ATX motherboard can also support a mini-ATX motherboard.

Supported Motherboards for case "(Zalman Z11 Plus)" according to new egg: ATX, microATX
You can see here

#5 ·
I am not sure I would go that route. You already have a decent motherboard, CPU and amount of RAM. So what are you currently using for graphics?

Also note in terms of software licensing, in particular, with Windows licensing, an upgraded motherboard is considered a new computer and therefore, most likely requires a new Windows license too.

Please note a common misunderstanding among many users is they assume they can use their old Windows license (or installation disk) on a new computer, or with their upgraded motherboard. The fact is the vast majority of Windows licenses are NOT legally transferable. Only the "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM/System Builders license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". And most importantly, as users, we agreed to the terms of the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) when we decided to continue to use the software on the original computer. And that makes it legally binding.

With that in mind, if you need to buy a new license I recommend 64-bit Windows 8.x, or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

Your motherboard will support a more powerful AMD. With the money you would spend on a new motherboard, new CPU and new Windows license, you could probably upgrade your AMD CPU and buy a new graphics card and remain legal with your current Windows license with no worries at all about RAM compatibility.

#6 ·
Great post Bill_Bright

Here at TSF we wouldn't be good techs if we didn't recommend the best advice. If you do decide to upgrade to another Motherboard and processor, It would be a great idea to purchase an OEM Windows edition for future legal changes which can solve problems before they occur.

Also, I would like to recommend protection from ESD. A prime example of ESD is the small shock you recieve when you walk across carpet floor and then touch bare metal, ZAP, seemingly harmless shock can destroy computer components. Using an Anti-static wrist wrap, Ankle straps, Anti-static mats, and Anti-static bags before installing anything is a great precaution. Of course, the process of switching cases includes taking out the CPU, PSU, GPU, and RAM. If you don't have an Anti-Static wrist wrap or cannot afford at this time, I have been told it's OK to touch the PSU case, making your body's electrical potential the same as the electrical potential of your PC component.

With Bill_Bright's recommendation, The only great upgrade I can see here is the form factor. The CPU's are quite comparable, that is in my eyes. However, you may also be a fan of Intel and not AMD. 1333MHz -1600MHz will probably be suitable RAM for quite a while and since they're both 4Gigabytes, 8Gbs is sufficient for quite a while as well. Since the new case allows more RAM slots and a bigger BUS, speeds will be greatly increased, but I would hold off on adding more RAM. I'll quote Bill_Bright on this one.
I always try to fully populate the board with more RAM than the user thinks will ever be needed now, instead of installing, for example, 4Gb now, then attempt to upgrade to 8Gb in a year or two. Because in a year or two, finding the same model number may not be so easy. This then results in user frustration and fear any new RAM won't play well with the old. And it also often results in the user pulling the perfectly good old RAM and replacing it all with totally new RAM to ensure full compatibility. So spending more upfront often results in savings down the road.

#9 ·
Bill
I believe an Upgrade version of Windows 7 may be transferred as long as there is a qualifying version to upgrade from on the target computer.
Nope, not likely!

The ONLY way you can legally use an upgrade on a "new" computer (or motherboard) is IF the "qualifying" version is (1) a full "Retail" license (not an OEM) and (2) that original retail version has been uninstalled from any previous computer.

Note that is a big IF because by far the vast majority of Windows licenses are OEM versions preinstalled with factory built computers, or OEM/System Builders license purchased by consumers and custom builders and that is because they are considerably cheaper than full retail licenses.

Also, because the OP is considering a new motherboard, there would be no previous Windows installation on the "target computer". Using drives with an installation already on it would be illegal too - unless again, it was a full "Retail" license - which, again, is not likely due to their costs.

#11 ·
Not running this thread OT. So I will provide this.

I said qualifying version.
Again, I am talking about a "new" computer which is what the OP is making if he decides to go with a "new" motherboard.

It is, and always has been part of the EULA where the OEM license stays with the "Original Equipment".

You cannot legally transfer an OEM license to a "new" computer therefore, you cannot use the OEM license from an old computer as the "qualifying version" to install an "Upgrade" license on the "new" computer.

The only "qualifying" version would be a full retail.

IF you have an OEM license installed on your "current" computer, you can install an Upgrade on the "current" computer (with original motherboard) only.

As far as the new motherboard constituting a new computer, see Microsoft OEM Licensing FAQ, under the System Builder Licensing section, and note the 7th Q&A (my bold added),
Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

#12 ·
A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances.

My comments were only related to the statement above regarding an Upgrade version.
I am well aware of the limitation with OEM installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.