Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

My computer wont accept new memory?

This is a discussion on My computer wont accept new memory? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Can anyone help, I have a Dell optiplex gx270 currently with 512meg of ram in it, I bought 2gig

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, Can anyone help, I have a Dell optiplex gx270 currently with 512meg of ram in it, I bought 2gig and put it into the computer, but it wont start at all. The computer gives a beep error code: 1 long beep 3 short beeps then 2 beeps and does nothing more. I think it might be to do with the computer, the other day it did the same with the 512meg so I took 256meg out and it went OK. A few days later I tried the other 256meg and it accepted it again.
Thanks
Sam

Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

The Dell Optiplex GX270 supports:

2GB (2 x 1GB) of DDR-333 (PC-2700) or DDR-400 (PC-3200) max.

What is the model number of the memory you bought? Company or brand? What are the specification of the memory?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, the memory I have got is: PC3200 DDR SDRAM 128x64 1GB Low Density and has this code on it: 1GBUFURTSNAC
Cheers
Sam
Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

I still have about 500 GX270's in the field (yes, they have all had the mobos replaced), and have lots of extra PC2700 DDR DRAM just packed into bags. I wish I could just send you some, but sadly I work for the Government, so it was basically paid for with your tax dollars, so it's not mine to give away *sigh*

If you want to get good memory that is guaranteed to work, I would recommend Crucial. It's guaranteed to work, and really not that expensive. Here is the link for the 2GB kit for a GX270 (full desktop and mini-tower models only)
http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs....2ACA87A5CA7304

When you get it, install it then when you power on the PC, go into the BIOS (F2) and load defaults, save and exit. You might get the screen that shows the memory has changed and you have the F1 to continue, but I always like to see it in the BIOS and then save and exit :)

I hope you can return that other RAM. Hopefully you did not buy it of eBay. There are TONS of eBay sellers who sell RAM that is utter CRAP, and when you include the ridiculous amounts they charge for "shipping," it's really not worth it.

Crucial isn't the BEST RAM in the world, but it is reliable, warrantied and guaranteed to work... Also, based on what you posted above and the issues with the other sticks, you might want to blow out your DIMM slots in case there's a piece of crud in one causing a bad contact. And seat it good and hard!

This is probably a stupid question, but you are putting the RAM in the matched slots, right? Sorry... had to ask :)

Good luck to you! :)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Many 'store bought', close and play computers (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.) require proprietary RAM. In other words, the computers are designed to use special RAM, rather than off-the-shelf RAM that costs less.

The suggestion to visit Crucial's website and scan your computer with their RAM Configurator is a good one. OCZ, and other name brands offer a similar service. NewEggscuse also has a RAM configurator, but I've never used it so I can't vouch for it's accuracy.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobracon View Post
Many 'store bought', close and play computers (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.) require proprietary RAM. In other words, the computers are designed to use special RAM, rather than off-the-shelf RAM that costs less.

The suggestion to visit Crucial's website and scan your computer with their RAM Configurator is a good one. OCZ, and other name brands offer a similar service. NewEggscuse also has a RAM configurator, but I've never used it so I can't vouch for it's accuracy.
I have alot of Dells I've upgraded that runs on ram all from Fry's and Newegg, definitely not proprietary.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
I have alot of Dells I've upgraded that runs on ram all from Fry's and Newegg, definitely not proprietary.
I'm happy for you. As I said, many, not all.

Either way, it will cost nothing to do the scan, and then there will be no doubt. Since we're sharing personal experiences, my daughter has a Dell that requires 'propriery' RAM and the scan didn't cost her anything either. Isn't life grand??
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

Cool

So I wonder if you ever got the memory thing straightened out?

Who goes in and closes these old cases after they don't get replied to in XX days or however it works?

@Cobracon: What model Dell PC does your daughter have???
Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi,
A while ago I wrote a message to this thread, I'm not sure why the post did not appear on the thread. I did get the memory problem sorted out. In the end all it took was cleaning the contacts of the memory.
Thanks for your suggestions
Sam
Old 09-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Cool

I save several thousands of dollars worth of ram every year for my customers by just washing it.
Ram works more on voltage than current, and dirt between the little legs on the sides of the ram chips can cause them to short out, thus failing. Ram on a video card can fail the same way....just dirty.
I washed a failing video card in my own computer about six years ago and that card is still working just fine today.

Cigarette smoke for instance has lots of carbon in it and is highly detrimental to ram memory. That's just one reason why NO Smoking is allowed in Computer rooms and data centers.

For a user wanting more ram for their computer and not knowing how much or what kind is required for their PC, there is no better source of information than www.crucial.com
While you're there, you can also order the memory and put it on your credit card/debit card and have it shipped right to your house or office.
Upgrading your PC don't get much easier than that.

I saw someone ask the question, "DDR or DDR2?" That shouldn't even be a question that needs to be asked. Most computer motherboards will only accept one or the other. DDR for instance won't even fit in a DDR2 slot and vise-versa.

DDR is the older type of ram and is becoming more expensive and harder to get. DDR2 is currently the most common and the least expensive. The next big thing will be the DDR3 memory.

Cheers mates!
The Shadow

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread