Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop ram bigger than max specs recomended

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a gateway mx8741 laptop I think that the max ram allowed is 2gb total

a freind gave me another laptop that doesnt work properly but nothing is wrong with the ram I dont think and they are 2gig sticks

so im wondering can I put these 4gigs of ram in my laptop will it hurt it even though 2gig max spec

its 1.87 duel core
2gig ram now
vista 32

another semi unrelated is this laptop several days ago this computer would freeze and wouldnt start I first took the hd out and it started but the next day it happend I did the same but it didnt work still, then I took the ram out and changed there possitions it didnt work then I put them back the way I did before and then now it works fine for a week maybe now and still going

I dont know if that will effect this upgrade or not

#2 ·
Hi zer0118,

TWO THINGS why you're computer will NOT most likely support the 4GB of ram if you install the extra memory. If the Windows OS on your Gateway computer is 32-bit, then the most memory that a 32-bit can support goes up to 4GB. Anything beyong 4GB, the Windows OS has to be a 64-bit. Another thing, the BIOS version on that computer is probably set to support up to 2GB max.

Other people feel free to chime in and correct me if i'm wrong.

#3 · (Edited)
Im only installing 4g total so that would fit the vista thing I would think

I thought I read somwhere that if it doesnt work it just wont start and then just put the old ones back in and it will work again, there was a possiblity that it may work they said its like a form of overclocking and it may or may not work.

but I didnt want to take any chances that it would ruin my laptop so I asked here first

would it ruin my laptop to tryit

#4 ·
other than an explosion that will take out half your house????

the reality is, who knows. Most likely it will not boot. Could boot but will not see one of the sticks. though extremely rare, it could see it but would be unstable. Your best bit is not to exceed the max specification for the mb.

#6 ·
I thought I read somwhere that if it doesnt work it just wont start and then just put the old ones back in and it will work again
That is likely, but it is NOT a given, and could result in not only the RAM being destroyed, but the memory controller as well - meaning you turn the motherboard into a brick.

On top of that, that scenario assumes it is the exact same RAM type and that it will physically fit the DIMM sockets (RAM slots).

anyone else is this true can I try it or will it ruin my laptop
Toss a coin and cross your fingers and be ready to buy a new notebook. Or, if you want to see what your computer will support without risking a catastrophe, run the Crucial Memory Advisor.

#7 ·
Trying the RAM shouldn't do any damage but it's doubtful the laptop will boot with it installed and ,if it does, the memory won't be usable so nothing is to be gained with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.