Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Is this psu & ram any good?

This is a discussion on Is this psu & ram any good? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Since I have decided to wait until 7/22 for the Intel price drop to build my system I figured I

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Since I have decided to wait until 7/22 for the Intel price drop to build my system I figured I would pass the time looking at hardware on the net (at work ) and I ran across this psu:

Apevia Iceberg 680-Watt PSU
Apevia / Iceberg / 680-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / 20/24 Pin / SLI-Ready / SATA-Ready / Blue / Power Supply
Only $99.99 after rebate* (Tiger Direct)

I thought it looked cool and it is not a cheap price so is it any good???

Also I have seen OCZ ram and it is cheaper than some of the other brands that have been recommended to me and I here they make a good psu so I am wondering what you guy's think about their ram?

Just keeping my options open... (I have got two months to window shop!)

Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Cool

I can't comment on the PSU as I don't know it, but don't let price trick you into thinking it's good, I'm sure there are plenty of expensive rubbish units around, not that I am saying this is one of those, I have no idea, but your doing the right thing about checking it out first, if more people did this they would be saved a whole lot of heartache and hassle.

But as to the ram, OCZ is very respected ram, overclocker's love it as well, so generally speaking you should be fine with it, I'm running some myself now, smooth as anything and not a problem, so you should be well safe with them.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks for the info on the OCZ ram 8210! I want to buy quality stuff when I build my system but if I can get quality and save some money the better...

The psu just looks awesome and I know not to go just by looks so that’s why I'm asking. The same company that makes the psu also makes a case I am thinking about getting and I think I could get the two together and save a little. I had made my mind up on the OCZ psu but the more I look around the more I see and changing my mind! This will be my first build and I want to make sure everything is right and I will be happy with but it is also making crazy
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Idea

Well I've had a look at that PSU now and although I don't think it's at the bottom of the pile, I do think it is one not to get, it has less connections than most have these days, it doesn't have active PFC according to a review I read, and it only has a 1 year warranty, I understand why it caught your eye, but I would suggest a more prov-en model personally, the other guy's are more up on whats hot than I am, but I saw a Silverstone not much more than the one you liked, also saw an OCZ one which is close to what you liked, but I am unsure as to their standing in PSU's, but if it's as good as I suspect it may be a better choice for you, hopefully one of the other guy's will pop in shortly and be able to say for sure, but here are the ones I looked at in comparison with your choice.
>>>2 Silverstone's here<<< and >>>The OCZ<<< which is currently on special, but it only has hours left to run, but please let the guy's confirm if this one is good before buying it incase you feel pressured about the deal, they know more than I do on these.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Yeah, I talked about the OCZ in another thread with linderman and some others and they said it was a good psu... I was just in to the look I guess...

If you look-up the case they make it comes with the psu so I thought I may save some $$$ because I am leaning towards their case.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

the Apevia's are horrible units I am shocked they would have the brass bells to ask $99.00 for anything they make!!

$99.00 for Apevia (are you sure thats not the price for a skid of them or maybe a ton of them ?????)

if you want some bling bling Look to an OCZ powersupply in the Gamerxstream or Powerstream if memory serves me correctly

either way; you want at least 650 watts or up to 750

80 to 85% efficiency

and active PFC (power factor correction)

and make sure somewhere in the reviews or specs the PSU states their rating can be done at 50C

I cant help you alot with the bling bling factor; I am an old bugger and my pretty days have long passed!

now I like ugly PSU's that live forever are quite and never burn up my parts!

I hate late evening warranty calls & everyone thinks losing their internet machine is an emergency! ROFL

8210 >>>>> >>>>> youre gut feeling on the apevia serves you well again

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Linderman thanks for the heads-up! I will get the OCZ Gamestream 700w or 850w... btw I got an account with tiger direct so I have decided to get a 939 MB and combo that will support my ddr ram and ide hd and cd/dvd rom to hold me off for a couple of months until the Intel price drop. Tiger has some deals on the 939/cpu combos for around 130 bucks I figured I could get one of those and go ahead with the OCZ psu and video card and use them on the build I will do in July (make since) Can you tell me which MB/CPU combo will work with the Ati 1900 card you told me about in the other thread? I found some similar cards at tiger but did not know which one would work with the AMD939 MB and the gigabyte MB you told me about as that will be the one I will get in July.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

the 1900 I listed in the other thread was an AGP version for an older motherboard

I would NOT suggest you buy that if you wish to migrate to a new system

the 1950 ATI can however alos be bought in the PCI express version which is what all new motherboards are no using

in reality; I would not spend $130 on an amd motherboard and cpu as I doubt the intel price drop in July will save you 130.00 (does this make sense)

but I will look any give options for cpu & MB at tiger

this would be my socket 939 combo pick
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...152&CatId=1619

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 05-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Cool

LOL well I just call them as I see therm, and that I wasn't seeing lol, anyway I linked the OCZ 700w above, as I said there it's on special and is close to the look of the other one, it seemed good to me but as I hadn't heard much on their PSU's I wasn't sure if there was something I didn't know about them that wasn't good, but at least now we know Thanks to linderman.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

the ocz psu is based on a flawed fsp design that lets ripple get out of control. I would steer clear of gamexstream psus. why do you care if your psu looks good anyways? its at the top of the case and not even visible unless you stare straight at it... i suggest getting a thermaltake toughpower or enermax infinity.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Floyd is correct the OCZ does have ripple issues when pushed really hard by load (the load mentioned in near the max output of what the unit is capable of)

but the part I find humourous is the most people that tell you about the OCZ ripple trouble are the same kind of fellas that tell ya nobody needs for than 500 watt psu's >>>>>>> so; if thats the case !!!!!!!!!!!! how in the hell does the 700 watt OCZ get pushed hard ???????????????

I do agree the Toughpower and infiniti is a better built unit; no discussion there, however with your spec plans I dont see you "pushing" the OCZ hard either to get it into the "ripple" trouble zone

the 700 OCZ can be bought for about $120.00

the Antec 650 Trio can be bought for about $120.00 I would rather have the antec vs the OCZ

but; if bling bling and LED's are important then OCZ

Me personally; I like Seasonic (all units) Antec Trios & New HE's, Earth watts only & Thermaltake toughpower only Silverstone Zeus mostly and some strider series >>>>>

I like Corsair but right noiw they top out at 620 watts

confused yet ???????????????

BTW: Floyd non of this reply was casting any stones at you whatsoever; just thought I would establish that

Old 05-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Linderman here lately I stay confused

Floydfan is right in that I really don't need a good looking psu as it will be mostly out of view anyway....

So Linderman you think the Seasonic is the best psu out there?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Thumbs Up

IMHO the one I have in my spec is considered the Rolls Royce of PSU's by many, but that said Seasonic are right up there with them, so they are definitely a great supplier in this area, I couldn't say clearly which are their better ones, but obviously the likelihood of everything they produce as being the best is unlikely, there will be ups and downs within all ranges no matter who they are, but get the right one and your set for the foreseeable, all I'll add is buy the best\most powerful you can afford, it may seem a waste now, but come your next few upgrades it should see you through them all at no extra expense in this area again, so long term will save you money, the downside is the supplier you want to use doesn't stock these items.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

8210 Yep, Tiger don't stock those brands I just checked it out. I guess I will just have to pick a different one... I see that they just started a new sale today and the OCZ 700w is only $99 so I may still go with it they also have the OCZ 850w for $169 on sale. After thinking about what you said about future upgrades maybe I should go with an 800w+ psu??? Every time I make my mind up on something it all changes again!

What socket fits the Intel cpu that is being discounted in July? I was wondering if I build an Intel based system now if I could upgrade to the Intel Quad later? I see some 775 socket MB/CPU combos that seem to be a good deal. I don't know if I can go two months without a PC...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Cool

Well you can always source the products elsewhere, I understand you want to stick with the one place\order as it saves hassle\postage costs, but sometimes if you want that something they don't do you just have to get it elsewhere, it's worth it if it gets you something thats much better.

As to 800w, given your currently looking at 700w\750w, it would not be worth the extra expense IMHO, if you could stretch to a 1kw unit or so then that will be worthy of serving you for much longer, may seem expensive now, but consider the cost and probability that the next time you upgrade from the 700\800w unit your considering it may well be you need a 1kw unit then, so by getting it now and saving the money from the 700\800w unit that will be redundant sooner than the 1kw unit to you then it will save you money IMHO, but obviously it may be to dear for you to manage, but sticking with quality units is definitely the way to go no matter what size you end up with.
Another consideration with the PSU is if you intend to run dual video cards, especially if their the big guns like the 8800's, low quality just wont cut it.

Now with the quad you should easily be able to do that I reckon, just get one of the latest 775 boards and odds on it will serve quad's as well, so you can simply upgrade the CPU to a quad later on when you can afford it, if you list the board your interested in, and what you want to run later on, I'm sure the guy's will be able to steer you right, but I have no idea what will be included in the price drops.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Okay, heres some hardware I am looking at - let me know what you think. If I get this I will wait until next year to upgrade to the quad cpu.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...424&CatId=2533 PSU

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=A406-1028 Xion Case

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...855&CatId=2235 MB/CPU 1st Choice?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...306&CatId=2235 MB/CPU

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=O261-8032 RAM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...327&CatId=1990 RAM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...874&CatId=1558 (Video)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...874&CatId=1558 (Video)
Old 05-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

WOW dude

you picked video cards by ATI that are for crossfire motherboards ?????

crossfire is ATI's version of SLI

but those video cards wont run dual on a SLI nvidea chipset board

you 1st choice motherboard is a good one, I am not soo thrilled about your secodn choice based on 945 intel chipset >>>>> I prefer the 965 chipset by far

if you want to stick with your 1st choice motherboard you will need to pick out some nvidea video cards to sli with

the choices primarlily would be 7950 GTX or 8880 GTS for decent without raping the piggy bank

there are several crossfire compatible motherboards; but my personal preference is with SLI (nvidea)

although, in reality I think SLI is grossly overated, and 8800GTS really doesnt need any second card help!

BTW: this is no penny scraper rig you got going here, so therfore I personally would opt for the Thermaltake 850 tough Power if you think you are going to run SLI ??????????????

give us your thoughts, and ONLY you can predict where you are headed for the next two years with system specs ????

Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

See Linderman this is why I am here! I don't know what goes with what!!! I was just reading the disc. And saw the HDTV and said that’s for me! I want good picture quality for movies etc... Will the card you’re talking about be good for this? And will this MB be compatible with the quad? Or do you think the CPU that comes with this board will be good enough for me not to need to upgrade for a while? Also I need to check the cost of the PSU you are talking about and see if Tiger sells it. If not I may go ahead and get the 850w OCZ or maybe even the 1000w OCZ if I can cut some cost somewhere else??? Will the OCZ ram that I picked out work ok with this MB?

I know a lot of Questions but at least I am getting somewhere...

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Idea

Well to add to the above, the PSU I'll leave in the hands of the guy's as they know more about them than I do so you wont go wrong following their advice there.

As to case I'm not convinced, you will need to seriously consider what your putting into it, a case can have an extremely major factor when it comes to cooling, not forgetting if you intend to get anything like the 8800 cards I fear it will be way to small to accommodate them, but I would look at a case with no PSU, it means your money is purely for the case so you should get more for it, only time that will change is if your buying a case with a quality PSU in it then thats totally different, but in most cases they supply a cheap PSU with the case, of the non PSU ones at around that price I saw the NZXT Apollo which seemed reasonable, but again think to whats going in it, these cases probably wont take a big card.

The 1st motherboard I agree is a good choice, I just suggested it to someone the other day, and I think I have the same CPU (or very similar) in my daughters system and it certainly does the job but it wont break records, but it holds it's own, there are better boards, the one I just ordered is the IN9 32X-MAX which is $70 more than yours on it's own, but your choice supports
Quote:
LGA775 Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme, Pentium Dual-Core, Pentium Extreme Edition, Pentium D and Pentium 4 processor series with between 1066MHz and 800MHz FSB speeds
So you should be fine updating to a quad later on, the second board however would be of no use to you if I'm reading it right, it does not support quad from what I can see, so the first one is certainly the way to go at the price your looking at.

The OCZ ram looks OK, although I have the OCZ Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 1066MHz DDR2 SLI-Ready Memory, but looking through their range as that one is double the cost they have one in-between which I think would be better if you could afford it, and that's the OCZ PC2-6400 SLI-Ready stuff, I think you will find it better IMHO if you can stretch to it.

Now the video, although those are PCI-e cards, linderman is correct in them being for crossfire as well, but it is one of maybe a rare breed that can do both, but you linked to the same card twice unless I'm going batty (quite possible TBH), does this mean you will be running an SLI set up ?
I must admit the BFG Tech GeForce® 7950 GT OC graphics card caught my eye, I have the 7650 version and it seems fine, but if you have special gaming requirements or similar you may want a more experienced opinion on these before committing.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

be patinet with us while we try to figure your needs Ctech

what do you want to do with your machine ????? video encoding, serious gaming, just internet and surfing ???????

please give us an idea of the common stuff you would do in any give month ?

the worst thing in the world is to buy a system that wont do what you want it to do! the second worst thing is to pay $$$$$ for features you will never use !

FYI tiger direct does not really cater to high performance builders IMHO; they seem to cater or target builders that are looking for cheaper parts ???? but thats just my two cents; nothing more

Tigerdirect are very good people to buy from, I have bought from them many times, their PSU selction is very limited on quality and top heavy with bargain junkers >>>>>>>>> way too much Ultra love there for me

Ultra has a couple of decent units (not teir 1 by any means) and plenty of tier 4 offerings

I have no idea on the TV aspect of things you are requesting but tommorow I will fetch some staffers that are into that!

My personal opinion on Quad core is HYPE & PR all the way. There arent many; if any; programs that can really make dual core cpu's sweat with cpu intensity. What is the purpose of buying quad core ????? way too early to even begin to think of that, most people I know that are buying or suggesting the quads are the fellas that enjoy saying I have the best latest and greatest yabba dabba dooooo ?????

I have learned the hard way, thats a good way to over pay some serious bucks!

keep giving us info & well get ya all sharpened up

Closed Thread