Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

High Pitched Whine

This is a discussion on High Pitched Whine within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So i just upgraded my computer Thrusday and now Saturday I am getting a high-pitched whine from my power supply.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

So i just upgraded my computer Thrusday and now Saturday I am getting a high-pitched whine from my power supply. The noise also comes out of my 5.1 speakers if i turn them on/up.Here is a list of my parts

Core i7 2600k

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Microsoft Support Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

High pitch sounds out of power supplies usually indicates the transformer windings or plates are vibrating - the resin used to bond them has broken loose. In minor cases, it is nothing but annoying. But in extreme cases, it can affect the electrical characteristics. But in any case, it should not manifest itself into something you can hear through the speakers - as that indicates there is some sort of electrical interference or improper crossover involved, and that is not good.

Rosewill does NOT have a reputation for making quality PSUs - and the specs on that as seen here indicate it is not one of their better supplies either - not with just > 72% efficiency.

So, what you need to do is swap in another PSU. This will confirm the problem noise is coming from the Rosewill PSU. It will also confirm if the sound from the speakers is caused by the PSU, and is not a problem with the speakers. Note too that noise from speakers can be caused by a number of things. One way to minimize is to ensure the speakers and your computer are at the same ground "potential" by ensuring they both are connected to the same wall outlet (facility ground). This of course, assumes the wall outlet is properly wired - which you can check with a good AC Outlet Tester. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) Indicator as they can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!
Bill_Bright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

Rosewill PSU's are basically junk and 550W, even with a good quality PSU, is underpowered for the GTX 460 GPU.
You need to be at 650W with a good quality PSU. SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the GS or CX Series).
What could you possibly need 16GB of RAM for?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

wow thanks for the quick and detailed replies. I had a feeling that my psu needed an upgraded because this noise started when i installed my i7,16gb ram and new motherboard. I fear its being over worked. As for the speakers they were perfect up til I installed the new parts but both the speakers and everything else on the computer is on the same surge protector.

edit: the psu is about 3yrs old, so i contacted rosewill to see if I could get something better for free, if not I am not buying their stuff again.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Even if they gave you a new one you would still have a low quality PSU.
Why 16GB of RAM? There are no games and very few apps that can utilize over 3GB and filling all the Mobo RAM slots can cause Voltage issues.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

As of right now I dont have that much money so a better pos is still better than what i got. As for the ram, there was a good deal going so i bought it. What kind of voltage problems will I run in to? Do you think that the ram might be causing the my problems?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

No Rosewill PSU is going to be any better than what you have.
A "good deal" doesn't mean you can get any use from the RAM.
If you remove two of the sticks you still have way more than enough and you avoid any concerns about Voltage issues.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro

My System

Rosewill does make some PSUs that are "okay". If you are stuck on Rosewill, insist on one that is 80-Plus certified. 80 Plus certification requires the PSU to maintain at least 80% efficiency across a wide range of loads. To achieve that, higher quality parts and better design are required. However, you still take your chances on assembly techniques, cable & connector quality and possibly other electrical characteristics - like ripple and overload/fault protection.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Rosewill sells some 80+ certified PSU's but they're made by the same supplier as the others.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Registered Member

I am ending up getting rid of the rosewill via rma and getting some money back. I went and bought a 750w corsair: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Hopefully this will solve my problems
Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro

My System

Quote:
I went and bought a 750w corsair

Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantice View Post
I am ending up getting rid of the rosewill via rma and getting some money back. I went and bought a 750w corsair: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Hopefully this will solve my problems
Even if it doesn't you will have a good quality PSU to help insure a longer life for your other components.