Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Gets Power But Won't Start...Replaced CPU...HP m1195c

This is a discussion on Gets Power But Won't Start...Replaced CPU...HP m1195c within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Computer Model: HP Media Center m1195c Motherboard Model: ASUS P5KPL-AM CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad LGA 775 GFX: HIS Radeon

Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

Computer Model: HP Media Center m1195c
Motherboard Model: ASUS P5KPL-AM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad LGA 775
GFX: HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ 1GB DDR3
NEW 550W Logisys Power Supply That Replaced a 300W
1 SATA Hard-drive

So i cleaned the inside of my case with dry cotton swabs and soft paper towels, barley touching the chips. After that i couldn't turn on the computer and there was no light that i could recall. I was using a horrible PSU and since everything else was plugged in i thought that was the issue. I bought a 550W for $20 and now i get a solid green light near the front power button in on the mobo.

So we got power but still can't turn her on. Iv'e got the 4-pin, 24-pin, sata, and DVD drives all plugged in. I made sure the front power button was plugged in, it looks a little messed up though (like metal pieces might be missing), i'll post some pictures. The graphics card and RAM slots are all snugged in yet no power. So i am really stuck and can't figure out why my computer won't start.

The only thing i could think of is a fried MOBO - if it were the graphics or something else you think fans and drives would start up also. I just want to make sure of my problem before spending more money on fixing it.

Those pics are of the power button unplugged but i did try it with it in that was solely to show the connector.

Please help me diagnosis this problem i use my computer for a lot of business and would be great if i could get up ASAP. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	104289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	104290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	104291  

Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Well the low quality PSU is not going to help but the fact that you did change it and the solid LED on the motherboard points to a mobo issue.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah that's what i was thinking but i want to know for sure before venturing around getting a new MOBO. Also sorry my thread title meant to say PSU not CPU and for some reason i see no edit function on these forums. (It's on comments but not the original thread?)
Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

550W Logisys does not have enough amps on the 12v line for the pcie system

put a quality 80+ 550w in

Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
550W Logisys does not have enough amps on the 12v line for the pcie system

put a quality 80+ 550w in

Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum
Ditto ^
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality PSU's.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Would something like Newegg.com - APEVIA 4 Pin PSU to PCI-E Power Supply Converter cable Model CVT46 help solve my problem? I have some 4-pins hanging around that i won't use. Also i seem to be having a hard to figuring out if there is a 6-pin PCI-E connection. If you look on the diagram you can't find one and the 4-pin even says 12v. It doesn't make sense cause my really bad 300w didn't have one and that graphics card ran just fine on that PSU for at least a year.

(I got the 6-pin idea/guide from Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v wheres the 6.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	104310  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

no you need a quality make of power supply because its the most important part of your computer

xfx,seasonic and corsair (not gs or cs models) are what you want and you need 550w

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

The Apevia PSU is no better than what you are using. It may resolve the issue temporarily but you need to be at 550W minimum with a good quality PSU like those have been suggested in Post #5 & #7.
Also, using adapters for power is never a good idea.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

This LOGISYS is a 550w power supply. I don't get why getting a new power supply is going to solve this issue. The 300w stock power supply lasted for the longest of time and now i put in a brand new 550w and it does the same thing, nothing, makes not one noise. I have a feeling if i get top tier power supply the problem will still remain. I am on very limited resources so i need to know EXACTLY what is wrong to insure a fix on the next hardware purchase.

I was reading on How to Fix a PC Which Won't Boot: 7 steps - wikiHow and might try testing the motherboard by removing components. If it's a component issue then i might be able to fix it with ease. If it's the motherboard i'll try finding a new one like my old one that doesn't cost $200.

I know you guys are used to fixing computers but please explain why i should drop the money on a new power supply. To me it doesn't seem logical and like i said i have very limited resources at the moment. Sorry if i sound a bit arrogant going against your ideas, just understand my position.

I followed that guide and guess what...the front usb connectors were causing all that issue. Such a simple fix, all i need now is a usb hub and i should be dandy.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

Glad you got it resolved.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanpieper View Post
This LOGISYS is a 550w power supply. I don't get why getting a new power supply is going to solve this issue. The 300w stock power supply lasted for the longest of time and now i put in a brand new 550w and it does the same thing, nothing, makes not one noise. I have a feeling if i get top tier power supply the problem will still remain. I am on very limited resources so i need to know EXACTLY what is wrong to insure a fix on the next hardware purchase.

I know you guys are used to fixing computers but please explain why i should drop the money on a new power supply. To me it doesn't seem logical and like i said i have very limited resources at the moment. Sorry if i sound a bit arrogant going against your ideas, just understand my position.
A 'good quality" 550W PSU that can actually produce/sustain that power would be fine. Your LOGISYS is not good quality and can not produce the numbers on the label. Continuing to use that PSU is putting your other components at risk of damage.
The problems and damage that low quality/underpowered PSU can do/cause is endless. Your PC and your choice.
Power Supply Information and Selection

Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

what he said ^

low quality manufacturerd power supplies often tend to say things like 550w or 650w but when you add up the amps it does not calculate to that figure. Also I could bet you a large chunk of my salary that a 450w seasonic unit versus a 650w logysis unit the seasonic would be more stable, have more power and be a more cleaner more efficient unit.

The power supply is the most important part inside a computer. There is no point in having a good computer with a crap power supply because your just asking for problems.

In the computing world especially with power supplies cheap = crap and low quality = crap. Cheap and crap usually go together.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread