Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Connect 24 pin to 20 pin on motherboard

This is a discussion on Connect 24 pin to 20 pin on motherboard within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. can a 24 pin power supply be used with an older 20 pin motherboard connector? Is there an adapter to

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

can a 24 pin power supply be used with an older 20 pin motherboard connector? Is there an adapter to convert the 24 to a 20 pin?

I need to know rather quickly since my PC is open and I just found out that the power supply I am replacing is a 20 pin.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

yes you can 4 will hang over and it is keyed so that you can not put it in wrong

Old 03-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Are you saying to just use the 24 pin that is on the powersupply to plug directly into the 20 pin on the motherboard and that an adapter is not needed?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

yes i am, same concept for the 20+4 connectors only the 4 does not come off
Old 03-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

whats 20 pin? the motherboard or power supply?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

The 20 pin is on the motherboard. But I have an update. I had to buy a 24/20 adapter because there are capacitors next to the connector on the motherboard that will not allow plugging the 24 pin directly. However, other issues came up.

The reason I was putting in a newer power supply was that I got a newer video card that requires separate power and a minimum 300 W power supply.

My existing system is a Compaq with a 200 W power supply with 4 4-pin power connectors. I also have two hard drives, a CD Writer and DVD player. So, I have 4 existing devices plus 1 new device (video card) that require a 4-pin power connector for a total of 5 devices hungry for power.

I took a 300 W power supply from a Gateway PC that I had upgraded to a 500 W ps and installed it into the Compaq. However, the Gateway ps only has 3 4-pin connectors plus 3 SATA connectors. So I put the 300W ps where the 200W ps was and moved the 200W to another location in the case (much use of Dremmel tool required). My idea was to use both power supplies to supply the power required.

So I powered the video card with the 200W supply, the CD, DVD and one HD from the 300W ps, and left the C: drive which I had erased with no power. When I put everything back together and turned on the power the PC started beeping and a warning appeared on the monitor in red letters that said the video card was not receiving power. Well I know that it was receiving power because it was plugged into the secondary ps, but the BIOS evidently did no recognize it.

I then put the old video card back in and plugged everything back into the 200 W ps. I discovered that I had connected the communications ribbon primary HD connector to the D: drive that was formerly the slave drive. I suspect that I forgot to change switches on the drive to correspond to the connector because when the system came up it was trying to access the C: drive and could not find an OS.

So, now I am just trying to get the PC to boot from my D: drive which has Win XP Pro loaded and drop the old hard drive; and this long story comes down to how I find out the right switch adjustment to make my D: drive the primary so I can connect it to the primary IDE connector and have the system boot correctly...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Update: I disconnected the smaller hard drive to cut down the confusion. The remaining drive which was D: now became C: and had the right switch setting: cable select; and I connected to the primary connector on the IDE ribbon. I kept getting "Error loading OS" message and it would not load the OS. So I loaded XP Pro again and the system knows their are two instances of XP but only will boot to the new one. Also, I can see the old programs in Program Files folders but they will not load.

I can delete the old programs, just can't access them, so I will do that and then try to get rid of the original XP install.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Update 2: I learned that you Cannot use two power supplies. If the power supply is not connected to the motherboard it will not power up. So I connected the larger power supply and used Y power connectors to attach to the devices.

I then formatted the hard drive to completely start over with a clean slate. The video card is now powered and so far everything is working very well.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

I know its solved and a little off topic but there is a way to use 2 PSUs with a system although its not recommended if your not sure what your doing. Using a spare piece of copper wire you can hotwire the powersupply 24 pin connector so it thinks its plugged in a motherboard and will power up. I cant remember how to do it exactly as I havent done it in a long time but as i remember it you stick 1 end of the copper wire in the black earth pin and the other end of the wire into the green pin, then just plug it in, plug something into a molex and hit the switch.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thething View Post
I know its solved and a little off topic but there is a way to use 2 PSUs with a system although its not recommended if your not sure what your doing. Using a spare piece of copper wire you can hotwire the powersupply 24 pin connector so it thinks its plugged in a motherboard and will power up. I cant remember how to do it exactly as I havent done it in a long time but as i remember it you stick 1 end of the copper wire in the black earth pin and the other end of the wire into the green pin, then just plug it in, plug something into a molex and hit the switch.

you are correct however, I would not feed video cards off any power supply not connected to the motherboard

you could use the extra or second power supply to power up the hard drives and cd-rom drives but I wouldnt fire the video card off it

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thething View Post

What is a "molex"?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

molex is the four pin power plug seen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M..._connector.jpg

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Closed Thread