Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Computers reboots several times before actually starting.

This is a discussion on Computers reboots several times before actually starting. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Dell Computer, it reboots several times sometimes before actually beeping and starting. I press the button the light turns

Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Exclamation

My Dell Computer, it reboots several times sometimes before actually beeping and starting. I press the button the light turns blue then yellow, 3 seconds later turns blue fans spins turns yellow then lik 5 seconds turns blue and beeps to mark that its on. The number of attempts to boot vary between 2-4 max i believe. I think it is the hard drive or powersupply failing on me. Can i please get some help on this. I keep good care of my PC, runs all my scans have a antivirus, firewall malaware spyware fighters and tune up apps.

I'll provide you all details. If you need more info please ask. Once again the computer sometimes id say like every other first boot for the day this occurs. My computer seems to be a bit slower and does hang a slightly bit in saving or doing basic tasks i guess. Should i contact WD and ask for a new drive if im under warranty? I have energy effiecient fans so the RPMs are usually this low.

Please help, should i start making a backup? Give me options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	103710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	103711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	103712  

Name:	Untitled4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	103713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled5.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	103714  

Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

MV, I'm going to move this to the hardware forum. My first guess would lean towards a failing power supply. If I remember that model, it's the narrow vertical case with the long rectangular power supply. I don't think you can fit a standard ATX power supply in it. That model also tends to run hotter than normal.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

yes, thats correct but my cooling is really well, i think its a failing powersupply too cause i use to game on it with an overclocked card, i recently took the card out. What should i do? Is it moved to the hardware forum?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

I moved your post to the hardware section of the forum where it's more relevant. Overclocking and an upgraded video card aren't going to play well with that Dell power supply - it's a small unit in a small case. Undo any overclocking.

If you have a spare power supply, you could try swapping it as a test and see how it runs. But if I recall correctly, you'd have to run it with the case open because an ATX power supply won't mount in that case.

Also check the cooling fan and heatsink for dust. Blow out with a can of compressed air.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Ditto ^

Over heating could be an issue but not when you barely turn your computer on
Air blow the heatsink and clean out all the dust bunnies if there are any
If you can get into BIOS check the temps they should not be over 50C

In this case our primary suspect is going to that 250W power supply from Dell
Those power supplies are cheap and proven to be very unreliable over time
Memory Test
loda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

its not overheating as you see ive posted my standard temps and i've recently gotten it cleaned out again after i cleaned it by staples and diagnostics were performed i believe, i needa call him and ask him if he found anything or if he did diagnostics. My cooling is really well, i have custom harddrive cooling too. I have taken out my videocard and use the stock built in graphics, are there any test i should do or should i back up my computer

I know the case is small but my cooling is really well if u look at the temps.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

Your low quality PSU is a prime suspect. There are no good quality PSU's that are compatible with your case so replacing it with another one like it or changing cases are the only options.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Changing cases would be the better option here imho

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

only concern i have there is, will my motherboard be able to fit in a new case? and is there any test i can do to check the powersupply, and are my harddrive results good? posted above in pic. The hard drive can be at fault here too.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

You can test with a multimeter
Test your power supply with a multi meter

the symptoms you have told us are not pointing in any way to HDD I mean if you press the power button and it does weird things right off the back and does not turn on or turns on and then shuts off and restarts on its own then you are looking at a power supply failure
Memory Test
loda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Using a different case as Joe suggested is a good idea, since it will allow you to use a full sized power supply. But weigh the cost of upgrading the case, PSU etc vs. what your computer is actually worth. No sense spending a lot if it's an old chipset. You'll also want to make sure the header panel on your mobo will match up on a new case.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

im thinking about leaving an old or new powersupply outside the case. Im getting a labtop soon so should i not worry about it? Its been booting up more successfully ever since i taken out parts, but the computer seems to stagger a bit.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mv826 View Post
im thinking about leaving an old or new powersupply outside the case.
That's not the safest thing to do, IMO. I'd say get rid of the overclocking and see if you can hold out til with this one you get a laptop.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Name:	Untitled8.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	103777I have taken everything out since this started happening. Im holding up pretty well, as the computer does not shut off or anything once its on. I turn it off when im done using it and its been starting up fine. But it does stagger a bit. The picture temperature and powersupply readings are after umm almost 6 hours of run time. I was oovooing for a good 4 hours which heated it up a bit but was stable
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

Speedfan is for fans and is rarely reliable for Temp/Volt readings. The Bios is the most reliable source for Temps & Voltages.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #16

Lots of suggestions, little questions.

Remove ALL overclocks.

Have you updated your BIOS to latest version?

Ensured that RAM is set to correct voltage rather than default?

Please download PC Wizard and install it. Go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK, then copy that text into this thread.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

@Narcissist- the OP has the Brand & Model listed in their sig - Dell 530s Slimline so I seriuosly doubt there is any OC'ing or RAM Voltage changes involved.
Updating the Bios should only be done if the update directly addresses the problem(s) you are experiencing. A bad Bios flash can render a Mobo useless.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

you still want a log, the repeated unsuccessful boots have stopped lately for the past 4 days now. I just experience a little staggering now and then when using multiple processes. Is it worth to get a new power supply and leave it outside the case? My case stays a bit open regardless i can cut a hole in the side panel for the powersupply.

The pics show how it stays open. I have a custom made harddrive cooler that keeps the harddrive at 28-30C at all times regardless of how long the pc has been on. Otherwise, the harddrive tends to go to 40-48C. It works really well.

Name:	Picture 38.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	103810

Name:	Picture 39.jpg
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	103811

so if i do get a new psu i can cut the case or something and keep it outside if thats what i need to do.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

MV, I already gave you my opinion above... and that's what *I* would do.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Registered Member

My System

yeah, thats what im doing so far, if the failed boot attempts until a successful boot starts happening again frequently, ummm a cheep new psu will be put outside the pc

One quick question: what form factor psu is my pc currentyly hsve ATX? mATX?