Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Computer shuts off at startup

This is a discussion on Computer shuts off at startup within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, I just purchased all the parts needed to build my new rig. I have it all set up

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all, I just purchased all the parts needed to build my new rig. I have it all set up and ready to go, and everything works at first.

The problem comes any time between 10 to 30 seconds after startup. No matter what I'm doing at this point, the computer turns off. I don't have an OS installed or any software for that matter, so it can't be that.

I have thought it might be that my power supply isn't powerful enough, but it's a 700W power supply. I tried removing components to see if they were eating power I didn't have, such as sound and extra vid cards, but none of that has helped. I'm at a bit of a dead end, any ideas?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

So as a bit of an update:

I was able to keep it on long enough to figure out that the CPU is over heating. I have the heatsink fan that came with the motherboard connected and working, but I'm going to try reconnecting it to see if I messed anything up. If that doesn't work, what other solutions are there?
Would I be better off water cooling it (I don't have a clue how to do that), or would buying a better heatsink/fan do the trick? I don't want to spend money on a new fan if it isn't going to help.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Techie19

can you provide more specific details about your system.
Like cpu, motherboard, ram, etc...