Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Shut Off and Restarted Instantly

SOLVED 
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bill_Bright 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I tried to make an educated guess.

This morning I was on my new desktop that I built maybe a week ago, and it shut off without warning. Then it instantly restarted on its own. I was on my laptop and hadn't been touching it for the past few minutes. The computer had only a few tabs open in Firefox when it shut off. Oh, and it ran the start up screen that reads something like "Windows shut down unexpectedly..." with the different options to start.

My specs are below...

Windows 7 Ultimate

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD Video Card

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAMSUNG 750 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-750500BW

Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Silent ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) Intel Z170 Desktop Memory Model F4-2800C15D-16GVR

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPS

This only happened the one time but I don't want it to cause any bigger issues if it can be fixed quickly. I am currently at school, so I will be checking the service pack when I get home. I am aware that there is a possibility of it being a software issue, but I believe someone said it is likely a hardware issue. I will be trying the suggestions in this thread when I am home as well:http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/solved-computer-keeps-shutting-down-and-restarting-594038.html

Thanks in advance,
jbu22

P.S. Is there any chance of this being an anomaly?

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree with Masterchief and don't recommend you do anything more now but watch. You might do a visual inspection inside the case to make sure all the power connections are secure, and you could check Events Viewer at the time of the event for any clues. But as noted, this could have been caused by a power fluctuation or who knows what. BTW, I always recommend all computers be on a "good" UPS with AVR.

I see nothing in your system specs that gives me concern. You have a decent PSU and I've fallen in love with Fractal Design cases lately (R4 on this system). And Gigabyte is my preferred brand for motherboards too.

If you are overclocking, you might reset that for now - other wise, I say sit back and wait to see if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.