Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Computer Randomly Freezes

This is a discussion on Computer Randomly Freezes within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm sure this is probably a very frequent problem that's seen on here. But I've tried everything I personally know

Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm sure this is probably a very frequent problem that's seen on here. But I've tried everything I personally know to try and fix my problem and I'm by no means a PC noob. I'm not quite sure if this problem is OS related but since I run Windows & I'm posting it here.

My Problem is that my PC randomly freezes. It's more like a (Not-Responding) because when it freezes the mouse still works and the music/soundeffects skip. I'm a gamer and this happens no matter what program is running. It could be Firefox, Photoshop, League of Legends or Darkfall Online. The sound will first start to skip but I'll still have full control of what ever I'm doing. Then will start to freeze for like 2 seconds and then unfreeze for a few seconds but then freeze up again and this will happen for 1-2 minutes. After that happens it will straight freeze for 1-5 minutes with maybe some unfreezing sputtering in the middle. No matter what I do if I ctrl+alt+del nothing will work. However if I pushed buttons and clicked areas while it was frozen, it will do a really long rubber ban lag. I will see the screen go in fast forward and do everything I did while it was froze. This typically happens with games, but if I'm on Firefox and I did a ctrl+alt+del after it unfreezes it will just instantly bring the task manager up.

I've completely wiped my hard drive and all partitions on it and that didn't help at all. So I'm starting to believe it might be a hardware problem.

Here are my specs:
Mother Board: EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Ram: ADATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel
GPU: BFG GeForce GTX 260 Overclocked MAXCORE Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCIe 2.0 x16
HardDrive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
PSU: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

If I'm missing anything let me know, I'm now running late for work

Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Freezing is usually caused by overheating or a failing PSU Open the case and blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Start the computer and make sure all fans are spinning.
You can also run start an elevated command prompt and type chkdsk /R and then type a Y and manually reboot the computer to let Check Disk run at next bootup.

spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

I blew the dust out of my pc a few days ago, but this problem has been going on for months. I ran the chkdsk and use my PC this evening and the problem still occurred randomly.

I plan on buying a new GPU soon for an upcoming game and upgrading my PSU in the process. Might this remedy the problem?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Go into Bios and look at the temp and voltage readings and post here.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
JackBauer_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

LSP650= low quality

it has less amp output on the 12v line than a quality 550w and you need a quality 650w

like this

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
LSP650= low quality

it has less amp output on the 12v line than a quality 550w and you need a quality 650w

like this

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Couldn't agree more. Ultra PSU's have a huge failure rate!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

So it's definitely sounding like my PSU. I'll get those BIOs readings when I get home from work. The temps are pretty stable I can assure that but the voltage readings I'm not sure of.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

Your problem relates to a power issue and your PSU is poor quality. That makes the PSU the prime suspect.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok, well I couldn't locate the voltage readings in my BIOs... but I'm going with what you guys are saying and I planned on switching it out anways. Now the question lies in which one should I get. I've already done some looking around but I don't know If Im making the right choice.

Basically take the same Specs I posted in my first post but

Switch the PSU with this.
And the GPU with this.

I'm kinda on a low budget but I want that GPU no matter what, but the PSU can be changed out if there is a better one. The cheaper the better in price not quality.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

forget kingwin

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Better price and SeaSonic made: Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
Registered Member

I know it's been a bit but I bought this power supply in the quote mentioned.

The freezing has ALMOST stopped. Instead of being very long durations it is a lot smaller but it's still causing some lock ups here and there about as often as before...
Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check the voltage range of the ram

some m/boards default to low

do you receive any error messages
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

I don't really receive any error messages at all. Unless Firefox is running, then I get an error about continuing a script or not. How would I go about changing the voltage on my RAM? I take it that is all done through the bios?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

yes but you need to check what the makers recommend first with ddr3 it is usually 1.5v

then check what it is running at

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ok well I checked the site for my current ram and yeah its 1.5v. I went into my BIOS and the voltage for pretty much everything is set to [AUTO].

Here are some screen caps of CPUID, I don't really know what I'm suppose to be looking for since I've never messed with RAM voltages before. But I didn't really see any readings for 1.5v anywhere.

The core voltage on my CPU was bouncing between .800v and 1.200v. I've done a little over clocking before in my time and from my understanding that bouncing around isn't really good either is it? And my system hasnt been OCd at all. Never tried to on this rig.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
Registered Member

I still need helps with this. I don't know how to fix my ram voltage or what to even set it too. My PC still freezes up periodically.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

Clik on the "SPD" tab. The RAM Voltage will be listed at the bottom.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Clik on the "SPD" tab. The RAM Voltage will be listed at the bottom.

Thanks,

So like I've said I don't really know what I'm looking for here. Any help getting this fixed would be really appreciated. Also I've been thinking of upgrading my ram, can I get any suggestions that would be a perfect match for my PC build? Everything I posted about my PC parts is still accurate other than the PSU switch.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

AData RAM has been known to have issues so replacing it may be a good option.
G.Skill & Corsair are good and used by every reliable builder I know.