Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Computer powers on for 3 seconds then shuts off

This is a discussion on Computer powers on for 3 seconds then shuts off within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently my computer has been powering up for 3 seconds with all the fans running then just reboots. It will

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recently my computer has been powering up for 3 seconds with all the fans running then just reboots. It will repeat this process over and over again unless i manually turn off the power supply

History:
About three weeks ago, my computer wouldn't shut down anymore even if i chose the shutdown option. Instead it would just reboot. I had to manually turn off my power supply to shut it down. Also, just before i shut down my computer the day before I started having the 3 second power problem, my computer produced a whole bunch of error messages. I forget what the errors said but there were about fifteen of them back to back.

Here are my specs. http://www.techsupportforum.com/f255...ld-276564.html

Old 01-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

First step, try clearing the CMOS if you had a hard shutdown. There are times that the bios gets corrupted with a hard shutdown, so you need to start by trying to make sure the settings are the default.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
First step, try clearing the CMOS if you had a hard shutdown. There are times that the bios gets corrupted with a hard shutdown, so you need to start by trying to make sure the settings are the default.
If you're still having problems pick up an anti-static wristband to ground yourself to the case.

You may want to reseat your processor and apply new thermal paste as this is a common cause of such an issue, however you could potentially damage the CPU in the process. Seek the help of a technician, or a friend that has previous experience performing such an action.

As for your computer restarting rather than shutting down, your problem could either be a corrupt bios of a corrupted operating system.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well i just opened up my computer and I have dust accumulated everywhere. Think this could be part of the problem? My plan is to disconnect everything; use an air compressor to clear everything out; clear the CMOS; put everything back. Hopefully it will work. I will keep you updated after I complete these steps
Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Just be careful with an air compressor that you don't blow too hard in some places. If you have a limit air guage on the compressor, use it to make sure you don't harm something.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #6

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
Just be careful with an air compressor that you don't blow too hard in some places. If you have a limit air guage on the compressor, use it to make sure you don't harm something.
Agreed. 30psi should be more than enough.