Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer isn't recognizing new RAM

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  oldmn 
#1 ·
OK - I'm going out of my mind here. I've got an admittedly old computer that I decided to add more memory to. It's a Compaq Presario 6016US with an AMD Athlon 1.8GHz and 512 MB of RAM. I bought Kingston 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) after double and triple checking that is was the correct type. The computer has two memory slots so I put the new one in the empty slot. The computer booted up just fine but when I check the system information it still only shows 512 MB of RAM. I opened the case and verified that the stick was seated correctly and it appears to be.

What else can I do or check? Do companies take RAM back if I can't get it to work? I bought it from Newegg.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
According to Crucial, that should be fine. I'll defer on this one, but I don't see why that's not doing it for you, the motherboard caps at 1GB and each slot caps at 512MB, which is what you're doing.

Newegg is pretty good on returns for what it's worth. There's always the small possibility you've got some bad RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.