Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buy a single RAM card?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

So, I had 4x Corsair 1866 MHz C9 vengeance 4GB ram in my computer and due to my own stupidity and heavy-handedness I ended up breaking one of the cards.

Now, my mobo doesn't support triple channel, does this effectively mean I own 3 ram cards but can only use 2 of them? Is there anywhere I can pick up just 1 RAM card (I can only find them being sold in sets of 2) so that I can go back to running all 4?

/e

Oh, my mobo is the sabertooth 990fx r2.0

Thanks.

#2 ·
Your system will still use all three memory cards, but they will be ran in Single Channel Mode instead of Dual Channel.

You may not see to much of a different when browsing the web or opening emails.

Look at places like eBay for a single stick of memory, they may even have a low cost used stick as well.

What's the full model number of the memory?

#4 ·
Hi, CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 is the full name for my RAM. The closest I've found to this is that sells as a single card is CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9.

My RAM actually runs @ 1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v because i'm running an AMD system meaning no XMP to overclock the ram. I imagine this 1600 ram would also run at the exact same speed/timings, I cannot find my exact model as a single card but do u think this will be compatible?

I also found CMV4GX3M1A1333C9, which is 1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v my only worry about this is it's PC3-10600 and my RAM is running at PC3-10700H.

Many Thanks.

#5 ·
It is true the advantages of dual-channel with modern hardware has been over emphasized. But I note your motherboard manual on page 1-10 does state to,
Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimal compatibility, we recommend that you install memory modules of the same version or date code (D/C) from the same vendor.
While your chances of everything working fine if you buy just one stick are very good, you may be better off buying a new pair to avoid any compatibility and hair-loss frustrations, chalking up the extra expense as a lesson learned on "stupidity and heavy-handedness". I assure you, we all have had similar lesson experiences. ;) And when it comes to such lessons, having it with RAM is getting off cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.