Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Boots up, runs fine, then shuts down w/o warning

This is a discussion on Boots up, runs fine, then shuts down w/o warning within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been digging through forums for a few days now, and I can't find the solution to my problem. My

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been digging through forums for a few days now, and I can't find the solution to my problem. My home built computer will boot up just fine, windows loads, and I get to my desktop. After an amount of time (which changes with each boot up, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes only a few seconds) it will shut off as if the cord was pulled out of the wall. I've taken it apart and put it back together a few times now, and every plug is in place, every fan spins, but I still have the same problem. This computer worked fine for the past year, it only recently began doing this. I've checked the switch on the front and on the psu (the psu being my prime suspect), and all the other 'duh' problems. If anyone has run into this before, please let me know what you did to fix it. Tubes don't fail me now!

Specs:
PSU - Rosewill RX950-S-B
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66
RAM - G.Skill DDR2 800
Mb - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Video - Geforce 8400GS

Old 12-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

I would start by checking the temps and voltages in the bios. How long since you cleaned the dust bunnies out of this rig with a can of compressed air?

Old 12-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

It's been dusted up and down, I usually do that every month or so to avoid any fan blocking. I've reset the bios on the mb, but I usually can't hold the bios screen for very long before a shut off. Will try though, but could they have changed or reset randomly? or perhaps with a software update?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Get the temps and voltages first, it doesn't take very long, so you should have time before it shuts down.

It may not be conclusive, so you should also see if you can borrow a power supply to test with. Something in the 500 watt or higher range.

If it is heat, you are going to need some thermal paste, might keep that in mind too, if you don't have any handy.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Want to try something? Take the side of the case off and put a fan blowing directly on the CPU and fire it up and see if it stays on longer. That might tell us if it is temps, but not always.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Win7 x64, Vista Ultimate x86, Server 2K3 Enterprise x86, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, OSX Snow Leopard x86

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
Want to try something? Take the side of the case off and put a fan blowing directly on the CPU and fire it up and see if it stays on longer. That might tell us if it is temps, but not always.
of course, simple answer is always BIOS temps. But forced induction is usally a close second ;)