Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

best ram for overclocking 800mhz ddr2

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  greenbrucelee 
#1 ·
as per title i am looking to buy me some new ram. i have an asrock p5b-de mobo with a xeon x5470 cpu right now i have 8gb of patriot ram but there seems to be some incompatibility issues with the ram i have. so im looking to either get crucial ballistix or MUSHKIN extreme.u see the thing right now with my system is that i can get 400 on the fsb but anymore that that and my system wont even boot. and even so at the 400 fsb i cant run the intel burn test for more than a few minutes without getting an error or prime without having at least one of the workers stopping. and i know it isnt a heat problem because i have an Antec 950 water cooler on my cpu. and plus after buying my ram i started to read reviews where they said there were compatibility issues with (my board) Intel's 965 chipset. also i cant even raise the fsb by 1mhz when i have the ram at its rated timings which is 800mhz 4-4-4-12 and when set to auto the mobo chooses the ram to be 667mhz and the timings are at 5-5-5-10. and i have read reviews where my particular ram will overclock to 1067mhz at the more lax timings of 5-5-5-15. so any advice would be great.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

#2 ·
well your fsb is determined on the cpu you have. Patriot ram is known for issues.

Your motherboard should take ram the goes to 800MHz whilst the RAM you have is overclockable unfortunately your motherboard does not have the required features to overclock it properly.

If you go into the BIOS you should be able to select the DRAM speed in the section where your memory is shown. From what I can see that is your only option.

BTW for your system the crucial ballistix would be the best option.

#3 · (Edited)
okay thanks bruce i know about the the dram speed options on my mobo. i understand this but the thing is my mobo automatically chooses a 1:1 ratio so whenever i do overclock my cpu to the 1600 fsb or 400. that puts my ram at the 800 (since it is set to 667mhz from the mobo's auto option) and even then whenever it is at its intended 800mhz i cant even put the factory settings of 4-4-4-12 i have to put the 5-5-5-15 timing.
THANKS
RUBEN

P.S.
So you say the crucial ones would be the best then for my system then THANKS

#6 ·
even if you overclock going for 1:1 or 5:6 is best. Depending on how far you overclock you could get 1:2 but 1:1 is better it keeps the ram stable. Back on core 2 duos and quads when overclocking the cpu usually the ram would actually be 3 - 30 MHz under its rated speed because of the fsb increase for the cpu.

#7 ·
even if you overclock going for 1:1 or 5:6 is best. Depending on how far you overclock you could get 1:2 but 1:1 is better it keeps the ram stable. Back on core 2 duos and quads when overclocking the cpu usually the ram would actually be 3 - 30 MHz under its rated speed because of the fsb increase for the cpu.
okay that's good to know.
Thanks
Ruben

#8 ·
well i bought me some some crucial ballistix tracer 4gb at 2 times2 gb sticks man are these suckers great no problem overclocking these bad boys at all to pc2-8500 with the cas latency at 4. well needless to say intel burn test came back with positive results ran it all the way through this time no issues and that was at the 400 fsb. so i have gone head and bought me another set 4gb so i can play the latest games with 8gb of ram. man. am i hapy as could be with my rig. just wanted to give thanks to everbody who helped me along the way and a special thanks to greenbrucelee.
RUBEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.