ASUS Sabertooth Z170 Mark1 Will NOT post with 32 Gb Of Corsair Ram

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bill_Bright 
#1 ·
Specs :
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.00 GHZ LGA 1151
Currently Vengeance LPX 24 GB of DDR4 2400 MHz – CMK32GX4M4A2400C16
ASUS Sabertooth Z170 – Mark1 Tuf Mobo
Corsair 1200 HCI PSU
Samsung SSd 950 PRO M.2 (Set as OS Primary)
Samsung 850 EVO (Data Storage)
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Windows 10 – Home 64 Bit
Issue : I cannot get all 4 sticks of 8gb RAM to work – I currently can only get 24gb to work (3 sticks only). Board runs perfectly with 24 gb. However, everytime I plug in the 4th stick (regardless of what the last slot is) – Board goes into a continuous power off and on loop and will not post to the bios.
Troubleshooting Steps Taken :
Cleared the CMOS battery / Tested all Ram sticks and all Mobo slots – **All are working / Updated to the latest BIOS / Designated 2400 MHz in Bios for each stick as opposed to Auto Detect / Lowered MHZ / Reset the MEM OK button / Inspected CPU and board for bent pins (Reseated CPU) / Enabled XMP
Comments : Current RAM is not listed on ASUS Qualified Vender List. However, they do have RAM that is listed but is off by just one number. ASUS states that its possible incompatible. I also noticed that after attempting the 4th stick and rebooting with 3, there is a screen that comes up stating that overclocking was unsuccessful? I am wandering if this is voltage issue between the RAM and board. I am a novice and know just enough to be dangerous. My gut is telling me that the 4th stick is overpowering the board in some form or fashion.
Does anybody have any suggestions? I noticed that there are a lot of RAM setting in the BIOS that I am not familiar with. I really don’t want to RMA the board if at all possible. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Red

See less See more
#2 ·
To clarify, it does not matter which of the 4 sticks (say A, B, C, or D) is inserted as the 4th stick, it always fails when 4 sticks are inserted, right?

In other words, A, B and D work fine together, but if you insert C, it fails. And A, B, and C work fine together, but if you insert D, it fails. And so on with the remaining combinations, right? Any 3 work, 4 don't.

Unlike compatible CPUs, is impossible for motherboard makers to test all brands and models of compatible RAM. There are just too many offerings out there. So typically, you do not have to buy the exact models listed on the QVL, but you do need to buy models with the exact same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility. So if your RAM's specs are not the exact same as listed RAM, compatibility may be the issue.

You might visit the Corsair Memory Finder, plug in your motherboard and see if your Corsair RAM comes up as a compatible model.

Also I recommend you run with 2 sticks, then run MemTest86. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors – not even one. But if you get any errors, even just one, the RAM is bad.

If that pair passes, swap in the 2nd pair. If that pair passes, then mix up the pairs again, and hopefully through a process of elimination, you can determine which stick is bad.

Note, however, that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good and IMO, MemTest86 is the best. But none are 100% conclusive. If they report errors the RAM is bad. But it is possible they find no errors yet the RAM still fails when installed and/or when paired with other RAM.

Make sure you unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in or touching the RAM EVERY TIME to discharge any destructive static in your body. And NEVER touch the RAM by the electrical contacts - always on the edges. Besides potential ESD (electrostatic discharge) destruction, skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust.

Note to conclusively test your RAM, you need to use sophisticated and very expensive test equipment, like this $4,400 RAMCheck LX Memory Tester.

You may have no choice but to RMA that RAM and buy listed RAM. If that fails too, then ASUS will have no choice but to admit their board is the problem.

#4 ·
I received some excellent input! Thank you everyone! I actually got
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C14D-32GVK
and they work perfectly. I really think that this RAM was just not compatible with this board however I do not know that 100%. I am just tickled to death that its working now with 32gb and actually I have slots available for more RAM if needed for scale-ability. Perhaps someone will find this post and will help them out.
Thanks again!
Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.