Not open for further replies.

How to Install and Use TeamViewer10

Published 
285 views 42 replies 4 participants last post by  Deejay100six 
#1 · (Edited)
:stop: This page is under editor review! This is NOT the final copy! :stop:

Please do not edit this post. Edit post #2

Introduction

Do friends and family ask you to sort out problems on their machines? Do you wish you could do it from the comfort of your own home without having to visit them? Then you need a program that allows you to operate their machine remotely. There is several programs available, but for this guide TeamViewer10 will be used.

Download and installation

Go to the TeamViewer webpage and press the Download for free button and follow the instructions to save the setup file, Teamview_setup_en.exe. (The name may be different in different parts of the world.)

Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the file then double click it to run the installation. The following page will open.

Under How do you want to proceed, select Installation to access this computer remotely (unattended), and under How do you want to use TeamViewer? Select Personal / Non-commercial use. Then press Accept - finish. On the next screen press Yes and the installation will begin. You will then be asked to setup unattended access in the image below.

Press Next >. And in the following image accept or change the default name and enter a password.

Press Next > and you will be asked if you want to create an account.

Creating an account is optional, so for now, select I don’t want to create a TeamViewer account now. You can always create an account later if necessary. Press Next > then press Finish on the next screen and you are finished.

Make a note of Your ID, then repeat the process on the machines that you wish to connect to. If you have several machines, you can create a free account as shown earlier, which will allow you to create a list of all the computers together with their connect details.

Operation

To use TeamViewer, make sure that the program is running on the machine you want to connect to then start TeamViewer on your machine.

Pic 7

Enter the ID for the remote computer in Partner ID. For this example the connection will be made to a machine running Windows 10 with the ID is438661489. Then press Connect to partner.

Pic 8

Enter the password that was created when TeamViewer was set up on the remote computer, then press Log On. You will then see the remote computer.

Pic 9

The fly outs to the right hand side and the top can be pushed back to the border.

Pic 10

You can now operate the remote computer as if you were sitting in front of it. As an example, the Start button will be pressed to show the Start Menu.

Pic 11

To finish the session, simply close TeamViewer and the following message will appear.

Pic 12

Even though the connection has been lost, TeamViewer will continue to run in the System Tray of the remote machine, so it can be reconnected to if necessary. To completely stop TeamViewer, right click on TeamViewer in the System Tray and select Exit.

© 2015 techsupportforum.com

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
:stop: This page is under editor review! This is NOT the final copy! :stop:
Before editing this post, please make sure that you are the only person viewing this thread, as anyone else viewing the thread may already be editing the post.

Introduction

Do friends and family ask you to sort out problems on their machines? Do you wish you could do it from the comfort of your own home without having to visit them? Then you need a program that allows you to operate their machine remotely. There are several programs available, but for this guide TeamViewer10 will be used.

Download and installation

Go to the TeamViewer webpage and press the Download for free button and follow the instructions to save the setup file, Teamview_setup_en.exe. (The name may be different in different parts of the world.)

Navigate to the location where you downloaded the file then double click it to run the installation. The following page will open.

Under How do you want to proceed, select Installation to access this computer remotely (unattended), and under How do you want to use TeamViewer? Select Personal / Non-commercial use. Then press Accept - finish. On the next screen press Yes and the installation will begin. You will then be asked to setup unattended access in the image below.

Press Next > then in the following image accept or change the default name and enter a password.

Press Next > and you will be asked if you want to create an account.

Creating an account is optional, so for now, select I don’t want to create a TeamViewer account now. You can always create an account later if necessary. Press Next > then press Finish on the next screen and you are finished.

Make a note of Your ID, then repeat the process on the machines that you wish to connect to. If you have several machines, you can create a free account as shown earlier, which will allow you to create a list of all the computers together with their connect details.

Operation

To use TeamViewer, make sure that the program is running on the machine you want to connect to then start TeamViewer on your machine.

Enter the ID for the remote computer in Partner ID. For this example the connection will be made to a machine running Windows 10 with the ID is438661489. Then press Connect to partner.

Enter the password that was created when TeamViewer was set up on the remote computer, then press Log On. You will then see the remote computer.

The fly outs to the right hand side and the top can be pushed back to the border.

You can now operate the remote computer as if you were sitting in front of it. As an example, the Start button will be pressed to show the Start Menu.

To finish the session, simply close TeamViewer and the following message will appear.

Even though the connection has been lost, TeamViewer will continue to run in the System Tray of the remote machine, so it can be reconnected to if necessary. To completely stop TeamViewer, right click on TeamViewer in the System Tray and select Exit.

© 2015 techsupportforum.com

#15 ·
I made a couple of suggestions.

A discussion going on here you may be interested in, http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/remote-access-software-999226.html

Not sure if this statement has any bearing on your article,

Just be careful with Teamviewer. If you use it too often, a message will start to pop-up saying that a commercial usage of the software has been detected, and that if you are indeed using it in a commercial environment, then you have to buy a licence. It's not that bad, but after a while, you'll get limited: you can only connect for a maximum of 5 minutes to a computer, and you cannot connect to that same computer after for 5 minutes. It happened to me with Teamviewer, many times. There's a few methods to "go around" that restriction but none of them will work forever, and some of them don't even work at all (and I'm not talking about anything illegal here).

#18 ·
I made a couple of suggestions.

A discussion going on here you may be interested in, http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/remote-access-software-999226.html

Not sure if this statement has any bearing on your article,
Thanks for the correction, Dave, don't know how I missed that.

Interesting comment about use of TeamViewer. I was using it 24/7 to connect to my machine in the attic until my laptop gave up the ghost. It is now running to connect from my Win 7 installation to Win 10 on a VM and I've had no problems so far.

#19 ·
It's almost as if they are changing the OS to go towards Mac OS. This is really seen with the new edition of multiple desktops.

I agree, I too saw that the Control Panel was hard to get to and was lacking items.

The start menu also sucks with no search bar and now having to right click to open search.

#20 ·
I love that old saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it!". I'm sure its exciting trying out all these new operating systems but my interest doesn't go past inquisitive. I like Windows 7 and apparently I've got another five years before I need to start worrying.

I guess a lot can happen in five years though.

#23 ·
I've not used it for some months, it used to be that there was a tool (on dropdown from the top?) that opened a transfer session, Chat I've never instigated but I have used it, it shows bottom right but I've no idea how to trigger it. I found that the box and text were too small for me, preferring (then) to use an IM client to maintain contact or simply conversing via a text file.

It's difficult, as well as potentially costly, to spend 5 hours or so fixing a machine on another continent whilst also holding a 'phone conversation, I prefer keeping a hand free for a glass of inspiration :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.