Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

Where'd my Optical Drive go?

This is a discussion on Where'd my Optical Drive go? within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Pls excuse me if this isn't the right forum for this question. I have a Toshiba Satellite Table PC R25-S3503

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pls excuse me if this isn't the right forum for this question. I have a Toshiba Satellite Table PC R25-S3503 running xp. I was having several issues, one of which was that the computer wasn't recognizing/detecting the cd/dvd rom. I backed up everything, popped in the recovery cd - which the computer detected - and that took care of everything.....except...it still will not recognize the cd/dvd player. Doesn't even list anything close to it in the hardware list. I've tried downloading various drivers but nothing seems to be working. I don't understand why it would read the recovery cd but nothing else. Also, as starts to boot up, the first screen has "CD ROM ERROR" at the top, then it finishes the boot up sequence just fine. This has been a fantastic laptop for me since 2003!!!! HELP PLEASE! Is this a driver issue or has something about the optical drive burned out or disconnected or what? Your wisdom is infinitely appreciated!!!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Enthusiast

I'm guessing it's a Windows Registry problem, there are some missing or incorrect entries in there which relate to your CD-ROM drive. That's probably why it works perfectly okay until Windows has been installed & the Registry has been created.

There's a registry fix on this web-page which may do the trick:
Registry Patches

Scroll down the FILE column on that page till you get to Restore Missing CD Drive (WinXP only!)

Click on that, and save the cdgone.zip file to your PC.
Now unzip it to reveal 3 files. You only need to concern yourself with one of them and that's called cdgone.reg

Double click cdgone.reg and click "Yes" to allow it to modify your Registry.
Now restart Windows.