Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

[SOLVED] IBM R51 No Sound

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] IBM R51 No Sound within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Please help me, I'm about to go crazy. I have an IBM R51 Type 1830 Model F4U. I replaced the

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Please help me, I'm about to go crazy. I have an IBM R51 Type 1830 Model F4U. I replaced the hard drive and now have no sound. The speakers worked prior to the hd change, the volume is up and the mute is off. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the Lenovo site. I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers as well as the audio device. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Just to be sure, test with another set of speakers or headphones.

Also, check Device Manager. If there are any devices with yellow !, then you are missing drivers.

Google is your Friend!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for replying Dogg. I used headphones that work on other systems and there is no sound on the R51. After I changed the hard drive there were a number of conflicts and unknown devices. I managed to find the correct drivers for them and now there is only one question mark remaining on the device manager. I believe it represents a conflict with the wireless network as the wireless function is not working either. The device manager lists Network Controller under the 'Other' section with a question and exclamation mark.

Everest shows only one Audio adapter, Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M-AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]. I downloaded the latest version of the driver for this device that I could find on the internet. I tried several times with no luck.

When I select show hidden devices on the device manager, it lists SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio, Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Device, Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer and Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver. I tried to uninstall each of these, my intent being to leave only one at a time. The system will not uninstall them, I have tried a number of times. When 'show hidden devices' is not selected only the SoundMax device is visible.

I entered my computer type and model, 1830 F4U, on Lenevo's site and downloaded the audio drivers uninstalling and installing them several times. I also updated the chip set drivers prior to downloading the audio drivers.

The device manager details for the SoundMax are PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_05541014&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FD
I have not been able to effectively use this information in my search. Too much information and not enough experience or knowledge.

I'm not knowledgeable or sharp enough to figure this out. I really do appreciate your time and help with this issue. Any suggestions...?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

There is a sticky on how to manually search for drivers at the top of the forum: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f19/...rs-419050.html

You may also want to run Everest and verify the hardware information, specifically the motherboard ID.

Google is your Friend!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #5

I checked your driver from IBM, and your Device No. matches the soundmax driver. Make sure under properties of soundmax in device manager that there are no conflicks. Make sure there are no other audio driver showing other than the ones with Microsoft. In control panel/sounds is soundmax listed as default? Also there is a text file under your driver at IbM telling you to check a driver version No. under drivers in your soundmax properties.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you to all for your replies. In order to be complete I will list replies to all your questions and suggestions, (it may help some other unfortunate sole in the future). However, I believe my most relevant discovery is the last issue listed.

Everest shows the following: Mother Board ID <DMI>; Mother Board Name, IBM ThinkPad R51; CPU Type, Mobile Intel Pentium M735, 1700MHz

The Device manager shows no conflicts under the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers. (There is a conflict under Network Controller, the wireless capability is not working, but that is the next problem to be resolved)

The Device manager under Sound lists; Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio and Video Codecs. As stated before, when I select 'Show Hidden Devices' it lists the Microsoft items I detailed in a previous post.

SoundMax is listed as the default for sound playback and recording. The MIDI music device is Microsoft GS wavetable SW Synth. (I also selected 'Use default devices only')

The latest driver that I have been able to find is Version 5.12.01.5410 Rel Date 2005/10/4. I found this driver on Lenovo's site file '1qa241ww.exe' with read me file '1qa241ww.txt'. Device Manager shows the details of the current driver installed as being version 5.12.01.3624. I have tried to uninstall this driver and install the latest one several times. But the old version remains. I have tried updating the driver by choosing the option provided by the device manager. After the system searches, I get a message that states I have the latest version. What am I missing or doing wrong?!

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps diagnose the problem and will help others as well. Many thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

Hello,

Try this here: Intel Audio 2007 Audio driver
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...14893&lang=eng

Note: those titles you listed belong in device manager, the driver you installed is probably is too old, make sure you uninstall the previous before installing this one, clean disc and both temp files in xp, restart the computer, in C:\drive or program file folder make sure audio driver folder is gone if not delete it before installing this one here.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have uninstalled all audio drivers I could find and I also uninstalled SoundMax several times. Every time the system reboots it automatically installs SoundMax with driver version 5.12.01.3624 which has a release date of 2005/10/4. It seems to me that everything I have tried is not working because the system simply overwrites it and reverts back to original settings every time it starts up.

Please let me know what I should try next. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi from the pci\ven and dev you have either this via vynil 700b driver http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp or intel but all info I can find points to the via

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #10

Are you uninstalling soundmax in control panel/add/remove programs? reboot/cancel new hardware wizard/install latest version.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hello Everyone. Still no luck.
Hitech:
Thanks for going back to basics, apparently I need it.
I went to control panel 'add remove programs' and selected SoundMax. The SoundMax install wizard runs and provides the option "remove all". It then runs an update to install selection.

I then restart the computer and cancel 'Install New Hardware' wizard.

I check the 'add/remove programs' list and the SoundMax icon is still on the list indicating 3.22MB size,(icon only no program?). Checking the device manager shows the SoundMax device is not on the device manager list. 'Sound and Audio Devices' shows "No Audio Device"

I downloaded Riskyone101's suggestion (thanks Riskyone101). File AUD_ALLOS.5324_5322_PV_REALTEK.EXE. Download location is; C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Downloads\AUD_ALLOS etc.

I then open the file and run it. Files are extracted I click through the wizard right to 'Finish'. No luck when I check for sound on both headphones and speakers. 'Sound and Audio Devices' still shows no Audio Device. I reboot the system again and still no luck.

I tried to locate the file Joeten suggestion, (again thanks), on via.com but did not know what via product to select. I followed the link provided and then selected Microsoft Windows; Windows XP; Audio: Via Product? - I did not know which to select.

Please put me out of my misery, I need this computer to function at its full capability. Thanks again to everyone for your time and effort.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #12

Be sure and select remove all when removing soundmax in add/remove. uninstall any other audio if listed in control panel. cancel the wizard on reboot. Then I need the everest report/all pages/.txt/save in my documents. I also need you to install unknown device identifier from here
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html
After it detects devices/hit file/save device list in my documents.
Go Advanced in your next reply and hit the paperclip to upload the two files.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Registered Member

Hello hitech;
I hope I did this correctly if not, please be patient with me and let me know what I need to do.

In the unknown device identifier, I only noticed a Network Controller listed. In the Device Manager it lists both the Network Controller and Multimedia Audio Controller. Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Everest Report.txt (230.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: txt DeviceList.txt (13.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #14

The device id in unknown device identifier matches your soundmax driver from Lenovo. Reinstall your soundmax and and verify this from the txt file under the driver from Lenovo. Go to device manager after install and
Expand the Sound, video and game controllers section.
8. Select SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio.
9. Right-click SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio, and select
Properties.
10. Click the Driver tab.
11. Click Driver Details.
12. Select C:\winnt\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys, to display the version
number, where C:\winnt is the location the OS is installed.
(Confirm the last 4 digits are 5410)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hello hitech;
I rebooted then ran New Hardware Found wizard and reinstalled SoundMax. The driver version ends with the digits 3624. I installed the lenovo driver with 5410 and then ran the version check again. It is still 3624. No matter what I driver I try to download and install the version always remains as 3624. Each time I use the "uninstalling soundmax in control panel/add/remove programs? reboot/cancel new hardware wizard/install latest version." procedure.

Do I need to download a different version of SoundMax software?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi hopefully this is it http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vinyl_v700b.zip

Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

just want to share my experience with you on this issue .. i had same problem with my sound devices when i tried to install drivers. I checked with everest and it told me that i have **** drivers .. but to my surprise that information was not correct and i ended up installing some other driver. I dont remember which one everest told me but i ended up with realtek ac97 drivers. Please try any other drivers other than soundmax .. Good luck !!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
Registered Member

Hello joeten:

I downloaded your suggestion and the device manager now shows Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM). The control panel 'Sounds and Audio Devices' now shows Vinyl AC'97 Audio (Wave). Before they would only show SoundMax with the old version driver. It seems to have installed properly but I still have no sound.

Is there anything else I need to do, settings I need to check? The speakers are on, volume is up, the Vinyl AC'97 Audio is the default device. I have used multiple sound sources, (internet, CD, DVD) and headphones that work on other systems. The via deck shows both left and right channel activity.

Is it possible this is not the right device and/or driver? Again, multiple thanks for your assistance.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you could try one of the drivers provided earlier but it is my belief that they are the same,there may have been a alterations done for soundmax but that is only a guess on my part I have no info at present to say yea or nay

Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #20

The pci\ven No. leads to intel then soundmax. It is very common for pc maufacturers to modify boards. It is not common for pc manufactures to give you the wrong driver. Now if we don't figure out the soundmax installation problem, we are going nowhere. This chipset should have been installed first. Was it?
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46058