Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

Packard bell xs20 win7 drivers

This is a discussion on Packard bell xs20 win7 drivers within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have loaded win 7 ultimate onto an old packard bell xs 20-006 net book but have no sound, wifi

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have loaded win 7 ultimate onto an old packard bell xs 20-006 net book but have no sound, wifi ar LAN. I think it is all to do with drivers, I beleive it has a VIA VX700 mother board with everything intergrated and have spent days trying to find drver/s for win 7. any ideas?
PS I ain't no computer expert, so laymans answers would be great :)

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Regardless of the motherboard make & model, for Packard Bell computers you will find the correct drivers at the Packard Bell support website. This is because Packard Bell & other well known PC makers fit custom-made hardware inside them and they require custom-made drivers.

If it's an old PC & Packard Bell do not support Windows 7 on that model, you might be not able to use Windows 7 on that PC if you want all the hardware to function properly.

Packard Bell drivers are available here:
Support Download

Failing that, you might have better luck at the motherboard maker's support website which is here: http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

However, the VIA website seems to having problems just now. It could not be found when I just tried it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the quick reply,
I tried the Packard bell site, but they have NO support for this machine, under netbook, it only lists 1 model, a "dot".
So no drivers listed for any OS. Strange, i know this is a crap model, but to not have any support seems strange.
I Also cannot access the VIA page. I will try again later but if you or any one else has any other ideas, would be grateful.
I have just plugged in an external wifi adaptor and that works so now have internet on it and i was thinking maybe i could get an external sound card and then use it through my hifi as an mp3 player. any thoughts
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Look under Notebook/EasyNote Butterfly/butterfly xs series on the PB support site.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Enthusiast

"I tried the Packard bell site, but they have NO support for this machine, under netbook, it only lists 1 model, a "dot"."

The URL I gave you is for the UK Packard Bell website. You may need to visit one of their other websites if it's not a UK model. Go here to choose the appropriate country:
Choose your country | Packard Bell
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

It's not a netbook it's a Easynote model
Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

Pip, thanks again, but it is a UK model, bought from Currys, and wrench, thanks, but the butterfly xs seems to be an intel based machine not a Via. Still no closer, may have to revert back to XP, but it ran like a dog on that OS!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

See if the PB hardware detection tool tells you any thing > http://global-download.packardbell.c...rDetection.exe
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

already tried that too Wrench97 :( only detects the bluetooth adaptor. It's a pity, as it is running fairly well on windows, just no sound and I can't change the screen res (but thats not too much of a problem)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

just found out it is a badged everet cloadbook, but again, no win 7 drivers
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Looks like you have the VX700 series chipset, the video is not supported under win7 so Via has not released any drivers for it> VIA Technical Support FAQ - VIA Technologies, Inc.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Try this for the audio driver> http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/Envy2...riverV540a.zip

If that doesn't work get us the DEV and VEN numbers from device manager.

To open "Device Manager", right click on "My Computer" (Computer in Vista/Win7) select Properties, On the Hardware tab Select Device Manager, if you see any yellow question marks, right click on the device and select properties, on the Details tab select Hardware IDs copy the PCI/VEN and DEV numbers and post them on your next post.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

Hi Wrench97, thanks for that, tried it but no good.
I looked in device manager and no yellow question marks. All devices are "working" according to the list. I will post the PCI and DEV numbers later, I am not near the packard Bell at the moment
Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #14
Registered Member

You can download from here .. for me its working fine..

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: Drivers.zip
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
Registered Member

Now you have here full pack for download

Packard bell xs20 win7 download
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

thanks for all your help guys n gals, ended up going back to XP :) but now working much faster