Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

How do I figure out what sound driver I need?

This is a discussion on How do I figure out what sound driver I need? within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just had a new motherboard installed but the audio drivers don't work. How can I find out which ones

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just had a new motherboard installed but the audio drivers don't work. How can I find out which ones to install?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
I helped the forums.

My System

Hello Bob, this thread is better suited for "Driver Support" in the Hardware section, so I've requested that admin move it to that forum.

If you have the driver CD for the motherboard the audio drivers will be on there. If not, list the Make and Model of your motherboard, then we can point you in the right direction for your drivers.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Download Everest and go to Computer > Summary > Multimedia > Audio Adapter. The blue link will take you to the latest drivers.

If that doesn't work, go to Computer > Summary > Motherboard Name and we'll try and find the correct sound driver (probably Realtek)
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
I helped the forums.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
Download Everest and go to Computer > Summary > Multimedia > Audio Adapter. The blue link will take you to the latest drivers.

If that doesn't work, go to Computer > Summary > Motherboard Name and we'll try and find the correct sound driver (probably Realtek)
Nice Koala! I never thought to use Everest to link OPs to driverloads.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

The motherboard is
Motherboard ID P4M890-8237A-6A7L8B03C-00. I'm not sure of the maker? Under "name" it says "unknown".

It has a VIA high-definition audio controller.

Let me know if you need more info, and thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
I helped the forums.

My System

Open up Everset and Click Motherboard, the Chipset and tell us what it says for your Southbridge chipset.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

When I click on "Chipset" I get no information at all, and under Computer - Summary - the chipset is described as "Unknown" ????????? What's up with that?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #8
Not...

Try PC Wizard (in my signature). Press summary.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
I helped the forums.

My System

Give these a try Bob. They are for the P4M890 with the 8237A southbridge.
Motherboard ID P4M890-8237A-6A7L8B03C-00

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/a1u680c.zip
Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

I ran the VIA driver package recommended, but got "1628: failed to complete installation" and "sorry, some important files of this package are missed (good English, guys). Please download the package again to contact with the service provider (again). Please press OK to terminate the setup wizard."
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

Hi,

I realise that this thread is over 2 years old, but I just wanted to say "thank you", especially to koala, because I finally solved my own problem with my built-in audio chip not working, after about 4 weeks and at trying at least 4 other different suggested downloads before I even found this site.

I downloaded Everest - the first suggestion didn't work, but the second one DID - I googled the name of my motherboard and downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer's website. And they finally worked.

I'm a total noob when it comes to hardware, so I was running out of ideas. Once again, thank you.