Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

Ethernet Controller Error Code 28

This is a discussion on Ethernet Controller Error Code 28 within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I'm by no means computer savvy, but I've managed to google my way here. I really need help

Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Hi All,

I'm by no means computer savvy, but I've managed to google my way here. I really need help -- totally way in over my head!

I just did a factory recovery on my dad's HP Pavilion a1640n desktop and though everything is nice, pretty, and virus free, there's a problem. I tried connecting to our wireless network at home, but that icon doesn't even show in the network connection folder.

After doing some digging, I hop into windows' device manager and find a little exclamation mark next to the ethernet controller. After clicking properties, it shows an error code 28.

I went through the HP website to try and install/update both the original LAN and modem drivers. No luck.

Software & Driver Downloads HP Pavilion Media Center a1640n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I then uninstalled it and rebooted it. At start-up it prompts me to install new hardware (ethernet controller) but I don't have the disk/software to install it.

I am about wit's end. I appreciate any and all help you can offer a very sad and desperate gal.

Thanks,
Robin

Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What do you mean by "no luck" when you tried to download the ethernet driver from HP ?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Tomken15,

I installed the LAN drive from the HP website and restarted my computer after prompted. After the reboot, I'm still being asked to install the device driver for the ethernet controller. Same error code 28 when checked in the device manager.

My network card is an Intel (R) 82563V 10/100 -- if that helps?? I assumed that once I was prompted to install the ethernet controller, I could direct it to where the driver for my network card is installed (in the system32 folder) but I can't even select it as an option in the drop menu.

Oiy, I feel like I'm running around in circles with my head cut off.

Thank you.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Download the driver again and select Save, this should put it into Downloads.

After the download is complete, you should get the prompt to Run and that will take you to the .zip, click on to Extract which will auto show files when extracted.

From those, locate and right click on the setup Application icon to Run as Administrator then follow the prompts.

Programs/drivers usually know where to download to, so you don't have to direct them anywhere and if you changed the location then it may not have know where to find it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi,

I don't have internet access on that computer, so I'm downloading them on my desktop and saving it onto a flash drive.

I'm dragging the file onto the desktop and extracting and downloading from there. Once it's done downloading, I'm prompted to restart. But after the reboot, it's asking me to do the same thing all over again --to install the driver for the ethernet controller.

I've tried downloading the network adapter driver directly from intel (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...adType=Drivers) and going through the same installation process. But after reboot, the same prompt comes back up to install the driver for the ethernet controller. GUH, frustrating!

All of this is really just to solve the lack of internet issue. Are there other alternatives?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

I'm also considering re-installing the motherboard driver, but I guess my motherboard's too old because I can't find the correct driver for my specific motherboard.

Asus Buckeye P5BW-LA -- any help pointing me in the right direction will be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Try the download from these sites (depending on 32 or 64bit OS) and see if it will install when you copy it across.

The first one is a later release than than the second, but I don't know if it is generic for both systems but if it's the wrong version then it won't install.

|MG| Intel Network Adapter Driver for Windows XP 17.3 Download

Intel Network Adapter Driver 16.8.1 for Windows XP 32-bit - TechSpot Drivers

If neither install then you may have to consider doing the reset again and if you still get the alert against the adapter, then at least you'll be able to ID the VEN number.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

As you will have OEM drivers on there, it isn't advisable to go "shopping around" for those types of drivers and you should only download them from your computer's support site if available, but I've found this driver program reliable for finding the correct drivers SlimDrivers DriverUpdate - Update Drivers for Windows 7, XP, and Vista which you could copy across.

The freebie download button is the one on the left.