Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

DVD Blu-ray

This is a discussion on DVD Blu-ray within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. slimtype BD-E-DS4E1S fails to recognize discs, will not burn, Tried upgrades does not repair

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

slimtype BD-E-DS4E1S fails to recognize discs, will not burn, Tried upgrades does not repair

Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Does the device have power connecting to it? Does it move if you put a disk in?

I recommend these:
Windows 7 & 8.1, Office 2013, Photoshop CS6, IE11
Security Essentials, Asus, Dell, Samsung,
Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

no now it won't respond at all
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Is the drive recognized by the BIOS? Is the drive recognized by Windows?

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

OK Dogg it's a gateway nv59 the drive is slimtipe BD-E-DS4E1S It's been recognized in the computer for over 2 years. I have down loaded several failing
"fixes" I'm going to take a wild guess the lazers have died and need the DVD unit replaced. Although one of the companies tell me they can fix it.......for 29.95:
Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

You can replace it for $29.95 or less.

Google is your Friend!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

well it's a program from Microsoft. it will fix that and a host of other problems. I don't trust them your familiar with "error occurred". Since I Already downloaded several "fixes" to no avail. by the way it's now playing DVD's Won't play Blu-ray though. Haven't tried to down load from windows live photo yet. been giving me half info when and if it does actually recognize a DVD. Don't know if I'm ready yet. can't afford a new computer when I throw it.By the way thanks for thee input.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Several things to note: Each type of disc uses a different laser within the drive. If the drive is reading any type of disc, it's not a Windows or driver issue.

Don't buy or use any type of "fixit" software.

For Blu-ray playback, you need several items: Blu-ray drive, video card with HDMI or Display Port output, monitor connected to video card using HDMI or Display Port, and a media player with Blu-ray support.

Google is your Friend!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks Dogg for the input. Thought I would be wasting money. What the problem is, I have been using this very same computer for 2 years...running Blu-ray movies, and many other functions. Always had errors inburning DVDs in windows live photo-by the way I tried to run one got 7 out of 15. Two weeks ago cleared browser rebooted. When it came back up nothing worked. soon some windows features came back. The powerDVD8 never came back. Every check says I'm up to date. ????????????
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Burning discs is likely a media issue. Most likely low quality media, or simply unsupported media. For SL DVD, use Verbatim or Taio Yuden. For DL DVD, Verbatim only.

Troubleshoot and investigate each software issue seperately. First step is typically to uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall the software.

Google is your Friend!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Arc5 not compatible to HDCP error code=3016. I might have messed up. I failed to mention I ran recovery. Problem.. Refurb....purchased aug 2010. 09 model. recovered factory specs. Will try to run recovery discs this time see if it bring up proper operating systems. Since I alreadyhave powerDVD9. PowerDVD12 (trial) and now Arc. I'm guessing the original factory specs did not support these blurays. why so much trouble with windows photo?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Shouldn't be a hardware issue as you stated it has worked in the past to play Blu-ray movies.

In any case, obviously some where along the line something has become corrupted or there is an underlying hardware issue. In any event, as previously noted, investigate and resolve a single app issue at a time. I've not used Arc5, but the error is HDCP (ie: HDMI DRM related). Could be an issue in the hardware path (ie: video card > cable > monitor) or there could be a conflict between drivers or apps (especially as you seem to have multiple apps installed for media playback).

I would start with drivers. Update/reinstall all of the motherboard/system drivers, then the video drivers, and last any other hardware drivers. Rebooting as needed between installs.

For the software, uninstall any apps that aren't working, reboot, and reinstall. In the case of the Blu-ray players, only install whichever app that you actually want (ie: PowerDVD9, 12, or Arc5).

Google is your Friend!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

Wow! This is a great help. Just to clarify...I only downloaded the the other DVD players after after nine wouldn't work, arcsoft at your suggestion. Tried to wipe hard drive and re-install from Recovery discs. System asked for a location where to file. didn't know what to put. Had to go back to factory which I think is corrupted,since when I wiped hard drive the same problems arose even with only one DVD 9, now plays movies but does not recognize bluray, also the program that I used was an upgrade I think. Used a better Windows live photo which I need to repair painting photos (side note). Don't understand Why system wouldn't download recovery discs. Once I get past that and if it doesn't fix the issues I wiill try and figure out how to follow your suggestions, which I really appreciate by the way.

It has been suggested I get factory discs which I checked and are available. would the system be blocking the recovery I made 2 years ago. Don't think I'll ever get another Refurbished,it was refurbished for a reason.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

It shouldn't be "blocking" anything. I've not used many restore discs as I typically just use commercial OS install discs. With that said, there is typically a seperate partition on the HDD of OEM pc's which store the original installation files. The Restore/Recovery discs do not always contain all of the files and rely upon those installation files. So if those files are missing or have become corrupted, the discs may not work.

As for refurbs, depending on the brand, they are often a good deal and the label has no bearing on the hardware status. Any items returned by a customer, for example because the keyboard was faulty, are tested, reimaged, and sold as a "refurb". And the quality brands will carry the same warranty as a new model. So with a little shopping around, you can save some money.

Google is your Friend!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks again for the in-put. I'm going to try it again but not for a bit. I've spent many hours waiting for the windows updates, about 170. spaced out with many reboots. will just limp along with this for a while. I'll probably get the discs from gateway as they are cheap enough. I had good luck with an HP refurb but not so much with this one. Thanks again for your valuable in-put
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Good luck.

Google is your Friend!