Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

Dual Boot XP Pro on Windows 7 Home Premium

This is a discussion on Dual Boot XP Pro on Windows 7 Home Premium within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently got one of the more popular computers from Amazon.com. HP/Compaq CQ5500F. I tried their site to get

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I recently got one of the more popular computers from Amazon.com. HP/Compaq CQ5500F. I tried their site to get the drivers for XP Pro and they don't support them.

My goal is to run a 1998 game, Jane's F-15. It does not work in Windows 7 nor XP Pro on Oracle Virtual Box. I need the drivers to be able to dual boot XP Pro on Windows 7 Home Premium. I am ready to use nLite but I need the proper drivers.

My new box:
AMD Sempron 140 processor 2.70 Ghz
2.00GB RAM
64-bit OS
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Disk Drives: WDC WD50 00AAKS-60Z1A

Please help!!!

Thanks,
john

Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

You will have to install XP, and then manually search for the drivers. There is a sticky at the top of the Driver forum.

The general guidelines for dual booting are to install the oldest OS first. Then install the newer OS. Personally, I'd get an internal removable enclosure with a second tray, and then simply insert the tray/HDD with the OS that you want to run.

Google is your Friend!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for replying but that is putting the cart before the horse. I have a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. I already set the partition and attempted to install Windows XP. From a few hours research I have found that I need to burn a new DVD of the Windows XP and the SATA drivers for the new hardware. Where can I get these SATA drivers before installing/running Windows XP?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

I've never had an issue with XP NOT having the drivers for an install for onboard chipsets. But anything is possible and I'm not doubting your problem. You will need the SATA controller information. You should be able to get the information from Win7 or you will need to track down the motherboard information...specifically the motherboard chipset.

Google is your Friend!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks again for your reply!
"You will need the SATA controller information. You should be able to get the information from Win7 ... " I hate to be a pain but how do I do that exactly? I went to Device Manager and then Storage Controllers and it reads:
Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
At System devices, one reads:
Intel(R) G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset Processor to I/O Controller - 29C0

Is this the information you are looking for?

Thanks,
John