Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

Drivers for Sony DVD RW AW-G170A ATA Device [RESOLVED]

This is a discussion on Drivers for Sony DVD RW AW-G170A ATA Device [RESOLVED] within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. I bought a new PC with Vista about a month ago, and it came with all the drivers

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there.

I bought a new PC with Vista about a month ago, and it came with all the drivers installed. As a result I don't have any back-up CDs or anything.

My "Sony DVD RW AW-G170A ATA Device" recently stopped working. It doesn't appear in Computer and in the device manager it has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. When I send an error report, nothing happens. Apparently, the problem is:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I tried finding a driver for it on Sony's website but all I can find is one firmware download. I ran that and it said it couldn't find the device. I also tried Uninstalling then reinstalling the device, which doesn't work, disabling then enabling it, which doesn't work, and updating the driver software, but when I do that it says that the driver software is up to date.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi,
here's a solution from Microsoft..
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314060
There's a Guided Help you can download on the above page.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

It worked! Thank you so much!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank u for ur guidance Houndog777 !!!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you Houndog777! I have the same problem as joe_042293. Your guidance works for me 2.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

My problem with the same DVD drive was, it does not even read the DVD. even it shows the light like reading, u wont find any files in the CD or DVD. what shd i do . pls give ur kind advice.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you! This worked perfectly for me, running on Windows 7 Beta. Both of my drives (both Sony) disappeared inexplicably after a restart, and now both are back after one single registry value deletion. Very relieved. :)
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Houndog777 and ALL others!
I am glad to hear what Houndog777 posted works for ALL of you.
But I am going to CLOSE this thread to avoid Hijacking.
If you have an issue I would advise posting a new thread.
Bill
PS- Houndog777 if you have an issue with me closing this thread, PLEASE PM me.