Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

Driver modification

This is a discussion on Driver modification within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello to all...hope we're all have a good year. I'm new here, so if I wound up in the wrong

Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Smile

Hello to all...hope we're all have a good year. I'm new here, so if I wound up in the wrong place, somehow, please forgive me. I've been involved in computer repair and network support for more than 20 years and can usually figure out what I need to accomplish. I've always thought that it would come in really handy to be able to make modifications to driver files so that in cases where you can't find a driver for a card, for example, the one I'm having a time with, the MA301 working with Windows XP. I'm sure there must be a way to open the driver file and make adjustments to the code. I've spent a few days, as time allows, researching the issue. This isn't something that's going to kill me if I don't figure it out, but I'd like to know the process, if it's not too much trouble, without spending a lot more time researching...thanks, in advance, for any light shed on the subject,

Michael

Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

With a few exceptions, I've not seen modified files for any hardware, so it's not surprising that you haven't simply found a "guide" on how to do it yourself.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Smile

Hi...and thanks for the response...Maybe 'modification' wasn't the accurate term. I have, since my 1st inquiry here, found several sites pertaining to writing your own driver files...'Driver Wizard' being one of them...I haven't had time yet to dive into any of it, but it's better than coming up empty.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

In my experience, it's not worth the time and effort. Hard to justify tens of man hours creating a driver, when you could simply buy new hardware that works.

Good Luck.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Smile

You're absolutely right...the time spent researching would never justify the end result. I think, for me, it's more of a, 'There's got to be another way to make this stupid piece of hardware that works with Win2k, NT, and several other OS' work in this thing with XP' sort of thing...and then, I don't really know how long it takes to write a driver once you learn how to be good at it either. It has taken a back burner for now though...too many other things that need to be tended to. Thanks again for responding...was beginning to thing, after over 100 views, that no one gave a damn...have a good one,

Michael