Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't Get Proper Resolution on HP Pavillion or igfxcfg.exe problem?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I am running:
Vista SP2 32bit on a HP Pavillion dv9500 Notebook
Intel Core2 Duo 1.5Ghz
Mobile Intel GM965 Chipset Family with the latest driver:
(26/02/2009-Version: 7.15.10.1666)

My problem is with the resolution and also with the resolutions available
to my laptop now.
Originally I remember being able to use 1400X900 and others, but now
the available resolutions are not like the originals. I can't get the screen to
center and if it does at all I lose the start button and taskbar, which fall beneath the screen.
Is it possible to revert back to some older original driver version?
Also, I am being a noob here, but does the Graphics Properties screen come from the driver? Does it change with drivers? Also, it is a bit flaky as it hangs quite often after changing resolutions for a while and seems to be named "igfxcfg.exe" . I searched this file and found nothing but bogus? sites calling it a virus etc. and offering "tools" to remove it.
I have no idea how to get my screen back to normal.
Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok, I located and installed an older version, that most probably was the original version of the driver that came with my laptop. It also doesn't have the resolution that I need, which is 1400 x 900. It is the native resolution and for some reason I can no longer get that. I read that the EDID (?) doesn't read the file properly (or something like that).
WHY can't I get my proper resolution? It usually (not always) happens when I need to restart/reboot. I be going along fine with the correct resolution and then suddenly I lose it and it is no longer in the choices in the list. Sometimes all I need to do is restart maybe once or three times and it'll come back, sometimes not. I don't like all the restarts though, it can kill your machine quickly apparently.
Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

#4 ·
I'd suspect faulty hardware (ie: video chipset) that isn't being properly recognized during bootup. Aside from that, possibly Windows/registry is corrupt. But as it sometimes works, that is likely not the case. If rebooting fixes it, I'd suspect faulty hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.