Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

XXClone questions

This is a discussion on XXClone questions within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I tested out cloning a drive with XXClone. First I used "Cool Tools" and selected "Make Bootable" and selected

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Part Time Repair Tech

So I tested out cloning a drive with XXClone.

First I used "Cool Tools" and selected "Make Bootable" and selected all 3 choices (Write MBR, write boot sector, and write boot.ini), then I did the "back up entire volume by copying all files from scratch".

Then I physically connected the cloned drive as my new drive C. Once I got to the desktop my Avast (FREE version) suddenly was asking for a product code. I had to uninstall Avast and then reinstall it.

I also noticed when booting up, the black screen shows the drive as
"XXCLONE: (Cloned Volume) [d:0,p:1]\WINDOWS"
It no longer says "WINDOWS XP"

I tried installing Partition Magic and got an error message "1628: Failed to complete installation". Not sure if that has something to do with the cloned drive. I will test installing PM on the original drive.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Part Time Repair Tech

I tried installing Partition Magic on the original drive and it installed fine, so I suspect that perhaps Norton has some sort of "block" on its product getting installed on a "clone" drive. I checked a review of PM and apparently it's a fussy product, with tons of error messages that can occur.

Wish I could have this cloned drive show up as just a regular drive.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Try cloning with driveimagexml using the disk to disk option and see if it comes off any cleaner...
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Part Time Repair Tech

I found out that I accidentally cloned a FAT32 to an NTFS volume. I re-cloned it with XXClone, but again I still had to uninstall and reinstall Avast. I suspect that Avast won't work unless the drive serial number is the same. Perhaps with the software DriveID I could change the serial number to match the original drive. Maybe that would cause Avast to continue working. ??

I did discover that you can simply edit the "boot.ini" text file by changing the name "XXCLONE: (Cloned Volume) [d:0,p:1]\WINDOWS" to whatever you want, such as "MicroSoft Windows XP Professional"

I tried cloning with DriveImage XML (from FAT32 to NTFS) but the transfer got error messages. I clicked to continue and it all transferred but the names of the files were in strange characters. I didn't even bother to see if it would even boot up as a C drive. I assume the errors and weird characters had something to do with the mismatched file system types. I give XXClone props for handling the transfer without failing at least.

Norton Ghost won't even clone anything unless you register the product (even BEFORE the 15 day period).
Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Jones View Post
I also noticed when booting up, the black screen shows the drive as
"XXCLONE: (Cloned Volume) [d:0,p:1]\WINDOWS"
It no longer says "WINDOWS XP"
The first time you boot this happens to confirm that the drive you are using is the Cloned one. If you reboot it should show as "C" or windows XP (whatever the old drive was named)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
Part Time Repair Tech

I read that anti-virus software is fussy when cloned. XXClone duplicates the volume ID, but the software may reject the fact that the volume is larger. This incompatibility has to do with the software, not XXClone. You just have to test out everything and uninstall and reinstall if it doesn't work.

The latest thing I've discovered is that I can't even access the System Restore window to create a restore point on the cloned drive. Each time I select it I get an error message. The original drive works fine.

AppName: rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009826
Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Is the drive you are cloning too new or used?
I have cloned about Twenty drives with XXCLONE and ended up with a perfectly working clone EVERY time. I also use Avast and have had no problems with it on the cloned drive.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Part Time Repair Tech

It was a used IDE drive that was checked for errors first. I did a quick format of the used drive before cloning. Perhaps a full reformat would have been better? I am going to try reinstalling Windows, then testing cloning that.

On XXClone's web site they say that anti-virus software in particular may need to be reinstalled.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Obama I's my father

My System

I would recommend a full format. quilck isn't that great.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Jones View Post
On XXClone's web site they say that anti-virus software in particular may need to be reinstalled.
I must have been lucky with the clones that had Avast, not a big deal to reinstall as long as you kept the email with the key.
I am really surprised with the problems you are having as i reckon that XXCLONE is the easiest,cheapest and most reliable software that i have used.

Download the Drive Manufacturers diagnostic software and run it and even use it to write zeros to the drive