Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

wipe hard drive

This is a discussion on wipe hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to know if my old computer is safe to drop it off at the recycling center. It is

Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

I want to know if my old computer is safe to drop it off at the recycling center. It is a Dell, probably 6 or more years old. I tried to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows XP in the hopes of speeding it up. I ended up just replacing it with a new computer. Now I want to get rid of the old one but I want to be sure that all personal information has indeed been wiped out. Windows xp appears when I turn on the computer, but it looks different than it did before and I'm not able to access the internet. I checked the "properties" of the C drive and it shows that there is 25.53GB of free space - the used space is 2.38GB. I'm assuming that Windows XP would need that amount of space (this would be the Windows XP that came with the computer - probably none of the service packs). Am I correct? Does this mean that all other files have been wiped off?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

You could take the hard drive out & hit it with a hammer first

Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Moderator hardware team

Download Dban Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing and burn it to a CD boot the computer with it at the prompt when it boots up type quick and let it "wipe" the drive that will write zero's to all sectors no old data will be not recoverable

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
Moderator hardware team

My System

If the system will still POST, a zero writing application such as above is probably easiest. If not, a hammer or cordless drill will destroy the drive and make it unreadable.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

dban would be the best bet is you do not want to keep the drive and use if for additional storage on your new computer.