Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wierd error

873 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tumbleweed36 
#1 ·
Okay so I decided to format my computer and everything. It went into windows for the first time and then i installed my chipset drivers for my motherboard. But now when it starts up it says : NTLDR is missing. CTRL + Alt + Delete to restart. And If I restart it just does it over and over again and I can't get back into windows.

My main harddrive is a 320g and i have a slave 120g. '

Any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
This message simply means that your pc does not detect an operating system. What booting sequence have you set? Is the cd-rom before the hdd? Also, when prompted "boot from cd", do you press a key or not? If you have a typical boot sequence of floppy-cd-hdd, empty floppy, formatted hdd, and you do NOT press a key when prompted to boot from cd, then you'll receive just this message.

*EDIT: The Windows OS is currently installed on C? Because I re-read your question and now I'm in doubt if I've understood correctly or not... Anyhow, here's a couple of reads:
The computer does not start after you change the active partition by using the Disk Management tool
"NTLDR is missing" error message when you install or upgrade Windows XP

#5 ·
Hi,

I too am a little mixed up about the C: and D: drive scenario. Just don't know exactly what you are saying in that area. Let me put the IF thing out there:

>If you have the hard drive priority set correctly (newer boards)

>you have the C: drive (that is the drive letter) set to boot

> you have your hard drive priority in the BIOS setup menu set to the boot drive

> and you have your boot order set to CDRom.....Floppy......and then the boot drive....it should work.

If you still get the error, then here is a fix for that error:

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Enter in the administrator password when requested
Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive.
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Note: If all else fails, until you get this error fixed, take out the slave drive and get the boot drive going first, and when we get a good clean boot, we can reinstall the slave drive. Remember, only if you can't get it done with it in there.

Post back with questions/concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.