Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which harddisk to buy ?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mighty_Miro_WD 
#1 ·
I'm aiming for a WD Blue internal harddisk for desktop. Now the dilemma is that, should I buy a laptop internal harddisk in cheap and fit it in a tray or buy a desktop one ?

Also should I buy it online or offline ? Offline market is cheaper, but I have the hassle of transporting it ( change trains etc.).

I had terrible experience with an old disk failure. Should I buy a HDD fan ? Those works ?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's always a little high. I'm from a hot country. The broken hdd's temp always was over 40°. Maybe because it was broken. It used to get heated up. Though it was WD Green.

Suggestions: go with the Black series drives from WD as those drives are for performance. Optimally you might want to consider an SSD.
The video is pretty descriptive. Tell me is Blue series superior over Green series ? Because I read so in an article... My previous faulty HDD was from Green series.

Also tell me how important is this cache memory. The Blue series disk I targeted earlier is from KX series and has 16MB cache.

WD BLACK and SSDs are so costly. SSDs are beyond reach... Otherwise I would get a SSD.

#5 ·
I have to agree with Koala as the desktop drive is preferable. Personally I have never found the higher cache to mean anything nor the different color labels either asnd IMHO WD is the best to buy. Longer warranty is not a selling point for me because normally hard drives seem to have the lowest reliability on Day 1 and if that happens and you send it back, you wind up paying "big bucks" for a refurbished drive!

#7 ·
Hi there Gdn8Melbourne!

The difference between the drives is in the purpose the HDDs are designed for, so the best choice depends on what are you planning to use your drive for.

The Black is a performance oriented drive and has build-in features like dynamic cache (which optimizes the cache allocation) and no touch ramp technology (the recording head never touches the disk) that will give you faster loading times, and has 5 years limited warranty as well. So, for instance, if you're looking for a gaming drive, I would recommend you this one.

WD Blue on the other hand is meant for everyday computing - very good drive with solid performance and typical power consumption. It comes with capacity up to 1TB and 2 years limited warranty.

Lastly, WD Green drives are energy efficient, secondary storage designed HDDs. Their main benefit is that they save power and wear by spinning down when they can, this means they're basically best for things like backup drives which are only in use periodically (e.g - once an hour), but I wouldn't recommend it for boot drive. Here are few links where you can check them out further:

WD Black - Support Answers
WD Blue - Support Answers
WD Green - Support Answers

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you for the explanation. Now I know why my previous WD green worn out in just 4 years.

I would like to have a WD BLACK but those are so costly and out of my budget now. So I think I will buy the WD Blue. I don't play games (I do , but browser based games, that also only sometimes), neither do I render HD video or 3D scenes.
My purpose is internet and working with vector graphics and designs. And sometimes work with RAW Editors.That's all.

Oh and I didn't mention I will run Linux on it. So I guess the ext4 file system will be friendly to the HDD health ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.