Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Western Digital WD10EAVS-00D7B1 won't power up

This is a discussion on Western Digital WD10EAVS-00D7B1 won't power up within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Did some googling and ended up here - seems to be a great community and a place to get

Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi
Did some googling and ended up here - seems to be a great community and a place to get help. I have read lots of posts on these drives failing but noen have the exact problem that mine have, so here is my story.

My drive just stopped working the other day. Nothing special happened it just quit on me. There is absolutely no power to the drive.
I have checked the diodes and the fuses on the pcb with a multimeter. They seem to be ok, but there is no power.Tried different power supply and internal mount of drive in pc. Still the drive won't spin up. Could there be something other that I should check on the pcb to find out why its not getting any power ?

The diodes I have checked are D3 and D4, reads fine. And the fuses:
R64 and R67. They are not blown. But as I said there is no power
coming to the disk so its not spinning up or making any sound
whatsoever. It acts like there is some blown fuse or something.

The drive is a 1TB Western Digital WD10EAVS-00D7B1. It used to be in an external "My Book" enclosure but I have taken it out of that
so I could check it.

Date: 10 Jan 2009
WWN: 50014EE257B3CBA3
DCM: DHRNHT2MFB
LBA: 1953525168

Please if someone has any ideas of what I have to do or check I'll greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Did you test the diodes in both directions, disconnected, using the diode position? on the meter? Is there a chip labled smooth on the board? If so check that for burn marks.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for reply, yes I tested diodes in both directions using diode settings on meter. Both gave 0 in one direction, D3 gave a reading of 450 and D4 600 in the other. I will search for smooth on the board later today.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

No burn marks on smooth. Looks totally fine to me. Like I said in first post nothing special happened, no smoke or nothing it just stopped working for some reason and I guess it is something with the pcb as the drive seems to be getting no power whatsoever.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

It could also be the motor, or the preamp. The drive will verify certain things before actually applying the power to spin up, a failed preamp can prevent spinup. Both of those would require pro recovery. It still could be a PCB issue also, but you would need to have someone move the ROM code from the dead board to the donor board to determine if it is a PCB issue. A swap without moving the rom may work but it would be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

raptor, thanks for your help, its really appreciated! Well is there anyway that I can pinpoint what is wrong with drive? Any methods I can use to find out if its the pcb, motor or preamp or something else entirely?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Short of swapping parts, without some pretty expensive hardware it's pretty much impossible to determine the actual failure point beyond what you have already checked.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

ok I see. So my best bet would be to get a matching PCB from a working donor drive just to check if that would give the disk power then find someone to do the firmware transfer for me?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Pretty much, there is a label on the PCB, the first two sets o digits on that label must be an exact match, as well as Model number of drive, country of origin.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

thanks raptor. I will search for a replacement pcb and then just take it from there. Wish me luck.