Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Wester Digital My Book - Won't let me access any files saying "you need to format"

This is a discussion on Wester Digital My Book - Won't let me access any files saying "you need to format" within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Western Digital My Book Home Edition external HDD which i have been using for a few

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hi, I have a Western Digital My Book Home Edition external HDD which i have been using for a few months. I use a USB connection to my computer which i am currently running Vista. Previous i was runnin XP until about two months ago.

My HDD was running fine on both systems until the other night when i plugged it in and the name of the disk in my computer now just says local disk f:, instead of the name which i had named it. When i click on it to access it it comes up saying you need to format this disk to use it. I have alot of files on there that i really need can someone please help.

I rang western digitals support line up and some yobbo who i could barely hear, and i mean barely, told me that i need to google some data recovery software to recover my data and then take it back to the store of purchase for a replacement.

I have searched for some data recovery software but it all seems to be a load of crap.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I DONT REALLY CARE ABOUT THE HDD I JUST WANT MY DATA.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to cconner6156 Send a message via MSN to cconner6156 Send a message via Yahoo to cconner6156

Suggestion Go into SAFE MODE an check if it still does that problem? Or run Check disk on that.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have the same problem! Please visit my thread!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice but no luck..

I started in safe mode and its exactly the same. When i try and run a disk check it says that i need to format first.

Please help

Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

OS: Primary: Win XP Pro SP2, Secondary: Win 7 Ultimate; Work: XP, Vista

Thumbs Up

I cannot stress enough how much this thread helped me. Took all of ~15 minutes (after I carefully read, and re-read all the instructions)

If the link below does not work for you, it is one of the stickied threads at the top of the Hard Drive Support sub-forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...er-194492.html
Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I tried it though after i select 'no log' it says no harddisk found.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty90 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I tried it though after i select 'no log' it says no harddisk found.

Thanks
Good morning Scotty90,

Please post a screenshot of the TestDisk screen at Step B (I believe that is where you got stuck in the process, correct?). Also, please ensure that the external drive is plugged in and turned on.

Thank you.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hi Thanks for the reply.

This time it has found my harddrive, i ran the testdisk and it said the structure was ok but still wont let me access my files. I am currently running the photorec and it is finding my files successfully and saving them to my computers hdd, the only this is it is they dont have their original file names. If this cant be achieved at least i have the files them selves.

Thanks so much for your help
Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

I am currently using GetDataBack for NTFS and it is 25% complete, hopefully it will be able to restore my WD HDD's filesystem to NTFS and also restore all my files.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ok, if you are still unable to normally access the drive, please follow along with the instructions in this thread and see if they resolve your issue:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...en-200538.html
Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Great News,

I got it back working properly using the information in the link...

Thanks so much calcul8 your a legend.

I actually have the exact same hdd as the one on that link and the same problem, i taking it back for sure and hopefully can exchange for a different brand.

Thanks again...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty90 View Post
Great News,

I got it back working properly using the information in the link...

Thanks so much calcul8 your a legend.

I actually have the exact same hdd as the one on that link and the same problem, i taking it back for sure and hopefully can exchange for a different brand.

Thanks again...
Not a problem scotty90! Thank you for the kind words but I'm not the legend, the Mods and the other user(s) are. Last week I had the exact same issue you were having, and on the advise of one of the Mods, I checked out the stickied thread at the top of this sub-forum which helped me, and now I'm "paying it forward" by being able to help you out.

Take care!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
Registered Member

Do you think that it is a problem with Western Digital Harddrives or what when wrong. It was just strange how when TestDisk fixed it, it only took a few seconds and was quite simple.

Thanks again
Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Most oftentimes it happens with improper shut downs (such as loss of power, etc) of the drive that corrupt the boot sector or from viruses and other baddies doing the same (as far as my online research has turned up).

I do not know if this occurs more or less frequently with drives made by different manufacturers
Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

Someone please help me, my PC crashed and I was forced to reboot and therefore cancel GetDataBack's scan of my WD HDD without a log file and now it won't show up in My Computer so I can't restart the scan! For the love of God help me!

Also, my HDD is now making a strange clicking sound.