Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD1600 SATA RAID Boot Problem

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JayD 
#1 · (Edited)
I have two WD1600 drives on a SuperMicro P4SCA mobo. I had them configured as a RAID 1 array (mirrored). I deleted the partitions so I could reformat and reinstall my OS. When I reboot, normally it would list the RAID and Non-RAID drives and allow me to press Ctrl-I to configure. Well now, it just hangs there with the Intel RAID BIOS copyright date, but doesn't register the drives. (So I don't have the Ctrl-I option yet.)

Can someone tell me what happened? I configured the BIOS back to IDE instead of RAID and I can boot up with a Windows CD, but I no longer have access to the RAID array.

I want to configure it back into a RAID 1 array, but if I change the BIOS back to RAID instead of IDE, it hangs.

Is the RAID info stored on the drives? If so, I figure there is something wrong with the RAID info on the disks. If I can reset them to Non-RAID disks, I think maybe I can boot up with the BIOS set to RAID, and configure them as RAID disks through Ctrl-I.

Is there a way to reset the drives to Non-RAID disks without getting into the Intel RAID BIOS (Ctrl-I)? I've tried going into repair console with the BIOS set as IDE and using fixmbr and fixboot, but it doesn't help.

I would appreciate any tips, questions, or suggestions you have. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I installed Windows on one of the drives, loading the RAID drivers as needed. But when I switch the BIOS back to [RAID] instead of [IDE], so that I can configure the drives for RAID 1, it locks up on me right before the [Ctrl-I] prompt. Do I need to install Windows on the second drive, as well? I figured I could just mirror it when I set up the RAID array.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input, Paul. I tried connecting only the drive I formatted and setting it to RAID, but it still hangs on the Intel RAID BIOS copyright message. I think there is something else on the drive that is corrupt and is preventing me from starting with RAID. Even if I start up with the other drive, the one that isn't formatted, it still hangs.

The only way for me to change the BIOS setting back after it hangs is to disconnect both drives then reboot. The Intel RAID BIOS screen comes up (the one with the CTRL-I message) with no RAID array present and no Non-RAID drives present, then it lets me into the computer's BIOS settings.

#7 ·
HI JayD

I have a different mother board then you but with the same Intel Chip. After looking at your board's manual, I think you might try "load optized defaults" in BIOS, then after rebooting, re-enter BIOS and set SATA MODE to RAID and On-Chip Serial ATA to either ENHANCED or AUTO. If you suspect something on the disk, use the WD lifeguard tools to repartition and format it.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.