Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD10EAVS drive in WD MyBook Studio II seem to fail

This is a discussion on WD10EAVS drive in WD MyBook Studio II seem to fail within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had my Mac mini running over night (for some number crunching). In the morning, the external WD MyBook Studio

Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had my Mac mini running over night (for some number crunching). In the morning, the external WD MyBook Studio II 2TB drive was logically disconnected. I restarted the external HDD and the Mac mini system several times (and in all possible sequences): the external WD HDD did not come back.

I followed through all the "software" problem determination activities, but the HDD couldn't be detected at all (using all sort of tools). I also tried to connect the HDD to other computers (all Macs) without success. Consequently, I determined that this cannot be a "software/os issue", but something within the box.

So I opened the cover of this system, and here are the "hearable" symptoms:
The "A" drive (WD10EAVS-00D7B0) of the MyBook Studio II HDD system is repeatably making an odd noise sequence:
- first a deeper buzz (about 1-1.5 sec),
- followed by a short higher buzz (about 0.1-0.2 sec),
- and at the it appears that the HDD is not starting to spin.

At the same time, the "B" drive is spinning up normally (with the "normal" spinning sound, etc.) whenever the system is turned on.

I tested with just putting the A-drive into the system chassis, as well as with just putting the B-drive in. I also tried to switch the A- and B-drives, by putting the A-drive into the B-slot (and vice versa) - both at the same time and each of them.
Result: The odd noise is only there when the A-drive attached to the system - irrespective whether the B-drive is attached and into which slot (A or B) the A-drive or both drives are plugged in.

My conclusion therefore is: something must be wrong with the A-drive.

Based on the "acoustic symptoms": Can this be recovered, repaired?

Any help and support is welcome!!

Thank you!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
My conclusion therefore is: something must be wrong with the A-drive.
Quote:
RAID 0 (disk striping) does not provide any protection against drive failures. If one or more drives fail, all of the information contained on the volume becomes totally inaccessible.
The A drive has failed. Since this is a Striped RAID set between 2 HDD's the data on the B drive will not be accessible.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote