Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD "Passport" Not showing up in My Computer

This is a discussion on WD "Passport" Not showing up in My Computer within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently got a used but supposedly functional Western Digital "passport" external hard drive from a friend of mine who

Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently got a used but supposedly functional Western Digital "passport" external hard drive from a friend of mine who said that he couldn't get it working on his mac, but that if I could use it on my PC I could have it. When plugged into the computer, the thing vibrates and the "Safely Remove Hardware" program boots on the system tray, but nothing appears in My Computer that I can access. However, Disk Management does show it, albeit with no name. It's status is listed as "Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)" and it appears to have 100% of it's space free. But when I right click on it, every option except "Help" is grayed out.

It also appears in the Safely Remove Hardware window, which lists it as a USB Mass Storage Device containing both a "WD My Passport 070A USB Device" and a "WD SES Device", which I assume is part of the same thing since they're both listed under the USB Mass Storage Device and the only other things I have plugged in currently are an ethernet cable, keyboard, mouse, monitor, and headphones.

I don't know if this means it's broken or fully functional but somehow locked. Near as he can remember, my friend bought it new about a year ago and could never get it working, and it's spent most of the interim gathering dust, but is otherwise in the same state it was when he bought it new; however, if there's some easy way to set the drive to be invisible, I can't say for sure he didn't do that at some point while trying to get it to work, as knowing him he probably clicked on every option available at least once.

But then, I don't think he ever asked you guys. :D Any ideas? Disk Management can't seem to affect it and My Computer can't seem to detect it. Third option?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like it is formatted with a MAC using a GPT type partitioning structure. What OS are you using?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

He says he's using XP.
I found that the so-called "WD Smartware" wasn't very smart, and corrupted. So we brought it back and got a Click-free drive, that uses Windows Backup. It doesn't need smartware.
It was not smart, actually so dumm that I called it "WD dummware."
Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 2. The computer is using an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 250 GB of RAM, Physical Address Extension. ... I don't know what most of that means, but hopefully it's relevant.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

If I'm not mistaken the drive may need to be reformated for Windows XP. This is not a very nice procedure, but that should solve the problem.
Never done it myself though.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hrm. Any idea how to?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Bonjour!
Try here.
How to Format a Secondary or External Hard Drive in Windows XP | eHow.com
Wish you luck,
Au revoir!