Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD Mybook World Edition - network loss

This is a discussion on WD Mybook World Edition - network loss within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok I searched on the forums and only found 13 topics concerning the mybook so posting the problem to you all and hopefully will get a response as WD and their site have been of no help in the matter. Already called them and they told me to call my router manufacturer, go figure.

Now to the problem:

I picked up a 1TB Western Digital MyBook World Edition White Light NAS drive prob a couple months ago now and after a day or two of fiddling I managed to get it setup and working with all my computers. I have like 8 comps running on the network. One day I came home and my PC's could no longer connect to it. Not sure what happened, but there was some crews working on the power lines a street over so maybe the power went out and screwed something up.

Never-the-less, none of my PC's will connect to it now. I keep getting errors about network path has changed, no network found, you dont have permission to access, etc. The WD discovery program even can't find it sometimes now or if it does won't do anything when I try to map the drives.

Now my PS3, xbox360, and my macbook pro have no problems what-so-ever in finding and connecting to the drive.

Here's a description of the last errors that were found:

Quote:
Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

Issues found
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (KWONG-SHARE)Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (KWONG-SHARE)
It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource". Detected
Make sure that the device or resource (KWONG-SHARE) allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing Completed

Issues found Detection details

6 Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (KWONG-SHARE) Detected

It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".
Make sure that the device or resource (KWONG-SHARE) allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing Completed

Windows Help and Support can provide more information about Windows Firewall.

Detection details

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name: 582FBFBD-5561-4D7F-A700-4676585F9CBE.Diagnose.0.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs
File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information
Computer Name: KWONG-MAIN
Windows Version: 6.1
Architecture: amd64
Time: Friday, October 02, 2009 3:40:25 PM

Publisher details

Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Package Version: 1.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

Issues found
The remote device or resource won't accept the connectionThe remote device or resource won't accept the connection
The device or resource (KWONG-SHARE) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)". Detected
Contact your network administrator Completed

Issues found Detection details

6 The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected

The device or resource (KWONG-SHARE) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
Contact your network administrator Completed

The computer or device you are trying to reach is available, but it doesn’t support what you’re trying to do. This might be a configuration issue or a limitation of the device.

Detection details

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name: 2AF1A8E9-26D6-48FA-A530-6F7FA704CEC6.Diagnose.0.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs
File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information
Computer Name: KWONG-MAIN
Windows Version: 6.1
Architecture: amd64
Time: Friday, October 02, 2009 3:28:44 PM

Publisher details

Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Package Version: 1.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
------------------------------------------------------------

Now I can ping the device from the PC's, they just won't actually connect to it anymore.

I have a Windows 7 RC 64bit, Vista 64bit, and an XP home 32 and none of them can connect to it.

Any help in resolving this would be fantastically exstatic as it is driving me nuts, especially since my mac is in the shop atm so I can't even transfer data to the HD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.
Oh and I have windows firewall turned off on the PC's. I have also tried turning off my routers firewall to no avail.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Have you tried deleting/removing your shortcuts or drive mappings and then recreating them? Various things can cause the mapped drive to fail depending on how you mapped the drive. If by IP, for instance, if the IP of the drive changes, your link is then invalid.

I'd start over from the beginning. Reset or restore the drive back to default, reboot it, and then reconfigure the drive. Also remove/delete you current drive maps on the PC(s), and then remap.

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well, I actually have the same problem with this, and can't get it fixed. I have the blue ring version of this, regular MyBook World Edition blue ring, and I have problems with Windows 7 where it comes up with a diagnosis of "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection - Detected - (Exclamation point sign)". One thing I have tried, which doesn't work all the time, taking out the power of the drive, and putting it back in. It works for a little while, but then stops allowing me to connect to it. It has a static IP, and if it didn't, a name to connect to, so I know I'm connect to the right object. I haven't found a fix for it. I actually tried to reset the admin password and all so I could reconfigure, and nothing. It won't even do that. Strange.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Same drive, same problem as Jath. The only solution is to yank the power and restart it. It might last an our, it might last 5 minutes before it becomes not reachable.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

OS: vista x86 sp2, win7 x64 home premium, winxp x86 sp3 (pro+mce).

Mistake

same here unc mapped drive began to disconnect when added to 7rc library but has been previously working well for over a year. have updated firmware but even on xp/vista drive needs to be unplugged to reset then disconnects again a little while later.

Have removed the drive from its casing and connected it to a sata port to try to recover my data but the file system is not compatible with windows (hmm maybe will try in lynux) drive shows in disk management but but not assigned a drive letter because of this.

If anyone finds a solution (or wd decide to bring out a working firmware) please post here.

many thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

kk have removed disk and tried to SpinRite.. looks like disk is fukked
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Well first off, spinrite is no magic bullet, in fact it is too aggressive trying to read sectors, and is effective in only very few cases. It , like HDDregenerator can cause a lot of issues. Anyway, the NAS drives use what is usually a BSD or Linux microkernel to boot and then SAMBA to map the share. Try UFSexplorer and see if it can read the file system, it can read ext2/3/4, reiserfs, and xfs as well as NTFS,FAT, HPFS. This might allow you to copy your data out.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks will give it a try. SpinRite is unable to work on some of the partitions some of the time (bios or data preventing) and is having the same problem as it does when trying to boot itself.. the drive getting so far then restarting. Would like to recover the data but think I have already saved the important stuff and have already decided that the rest is probrably lost. The last time I connected it to windows it hung the system.. so am doubtfull that reformatting it will give me 1TB of spare storage.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

I am having a slightly different iteration of the same problem. I have a WD my book world edition 2 TB, (I actually have another 1tb- same model- which has just failed but that is another issue to be solved). Recently my mac has been unable to connect to the network device. The other two pcs on my network can connect to the NAS no problem. I have restarted, gone in through the web interface which shows nothing awry. All users have admin access but all devices are used by me. When i attempt to connect to the drive in finder it just lags out, and eventually, sometimes, hours later it will come back with an error message stating that the device is not reachable.
I have had the problem where the drive is recognized and sometime later lags out, but this is different, all the other devices can access the drive other than my mac. I have tried all the utilities and have searched somewhat diligently in the forums. Can any one give me a point in the right direction here.

mac automatically maps the network devices and I can't seem to figure out, if it is possible, how to adjust or edit the device computer interface.

Thanks for the time guys, and gals
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yea in my opinion I think those mybook world things are a pos. They never are dependable I know because I had one and I wound up so frustrated with it I pulled the hard drive out and junked the enclosure. They only work normally if all the clients your using are the same platform eg. Windows 7. Some other comp like mac don't see what the pc sees. It's almost weird. I had so many connection issues with it. It had the tendency to readdress network letters. So if you made a shortcut to the drive on your desktop it would change whenever you restarted the comp. I have 3 external drives. A FireWire. A USB and a USB. I actually can share from my Mac to my windows 7 machine no prob by using the network neighborhood.