Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD My passport 1TB "Must Format" error.

This is a discussion on WD My passport 1TB "Must Format" error. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok I normally am a do it myself kind of person but I have no idea what to do when

Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Ok I normally am a do it myself kind of person but I have no idea what to do when it comes to PC hardware, this External drive was working like a charm then nothing...

Anyway, it seems as though it is not a power issue because I can hear it spinning and there is a small light indicating that it is on, when I tried to see if I could change the drive letter it showed the device is working properly but says I need to format before using it when I plug it in to the USB.

I forgot to mention that it does not show up under "My computer"

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

I don't mean to double post but maybe this photo can help with solving my issue?
the drive disconnects and reconnects itself every 3-5 minutes.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RH4MM3R
I don't mean to double post but maybe this photo can help with solving my issue?
the drive disconnects and reconnects itself every 3-5 minutes.
Read the post by Deleted 090308 and see if the cgsecurity assistance makes sense and helps
Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotsgoingon View Post
Read the post by Deleted 090308 and see if the cgsecurity assistance makes sense and helps
I'm not sure where to find this post your referring to but I haven't had any info deleted just yet so recovering isn't what I need, everything is in my drive I just can't access it because I keep getting a "must format before using" message.

If you can point me in the right direction with a link that would be great, thank you for helping :)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Moderator hardware team

The passports have bad USB connections on the drive itself. Try a new USB cable and to resolve two choices pro recovery is best option on these similar thread on here currently if you just look at a few of the current posts you will see it. DIY route your choice your data remove drive from enclosure inspect USB connector pins and solder joints on PCB

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

I did read some of the posts they were similar but not quite the same problem I am having thanks so much for the reply, I tried a new USB cable but that wasn't the issue. I guess I must try Pro recovery and let you know how that goes I will not remove the enclosure until i see that all else has failed. Thanks again for your time :) I have a huge list of recovery programs and have tried three all have failed so far, which program do you think would be best?

Active Partition Recovery 3.0

Active Uneraser 3.0

Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro 6.10

Winternals Disk Commander 1.1

TestDisk 6.11.3

DiyDataRecovery Diskpatch 2.1.100

Prosoft Media Tools 5.0 v1.1.2.64

PhotoRec 6.11.3

Active Undelete 5.5

Restoration 3.2.13

GetDataBack for FAT 4.0

GetDataBack for NTFS 4.0

Recuva 1.32

Partition Find and Mount 2.3.1

Unstoppable Copier 4.2
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Moderator hardware team

If you tried 3 programs already and got nothing I doubt others will yield better results send to a pro for a quote

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RH4MM3R

I'm not sure where to find this post your referring to but I haven't had any info deleted just yet so recovering isn't what I need, everything is in my drive I just can't access it because I keep getting a "must format before using" message.

If you can point me in the right direction with a link that would be great, thank you for helping :)
On this forum under hardware support go to stickies and read the second post from Deleted090308 re TestDisk and PhotoRec.

We're these tried as part of the 3 program's you. Followed?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networks View Post
If you tried 3 programs already and got nothing I doubt others will yield better results send to a pro for a quote
Damn, ok thank you.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotsgoingon View Post
On this forum under hardware support go to stickies and read the second post from Deleted090308 re TestDisk and PhotoRec.

We're these tried as part of the 3 program's you. Followed?
sorry didn't see your post, I will check now. No none were tested I shall try test disk.

I must go to work and will not be responding till I return thank you all so much for the help so far.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

Tried test disk but I need help

What do I do here?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Moderator hardware team

Here are 2 links that address usage of Testdisk
Have you "lost" a hard drive, partition or files in your computer?

TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

Good Luck keep us posted on your progress

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are 2 links that address usage of Testdisk
Have you "lost" a hard drive, partition or files in your computer?

TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

Good Luck keep us posted on your progress
Thanks so much, after I try this I think I give up and I will just format it :/ I have so much info that I don't want to lose.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Moderator hardware team

IF you need data recovered DO NOT FORMAT the drive its bad anyway formating it wont fix it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Registered Member

sorry guys for interjecting but i have similar problem with my 500gb WD My passport disk which houses close to 480gb of valuable information.I have followed the instructions as stated for TestDisk but however the program stalled at the "Please wait" command prompt.

Any further suggestion/s will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidojnr View Post
sorry guys for interjecting but i have similar problem with my 500gb WD My passport disk which houses close to 480gb of valuable information.I have followed the instructions as stated for TestDisk but however the program stalled at the "Please wait" command prompt.

Any further suggestion/s will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Its not stalled, takes a long time to start.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
IF you need data recovered DO NOT FORMAT the drive its bad anyway formating it wont fix it.
Yeah my friend says he's had a similar issue but he's sure my drive is corrupted I had over 400GB of data if I can recover 50% of it I would be happy, TestDisk did not work for me.

However I don't think I understood what to do, all I did was proceed to the end by pressing enter till it did its job.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Moderator hardware team

You analyze the drive first to allow it to search for data

skidojnr you really should start your own thread but try other tools like r-Studio