Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD external HD wont work!

This is a discussion on WD external HD wont work! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry,I know there are lots of these threads but none of them solved my issue. I have a WesternDigital (WD)

Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Sorry,I know there are lots of these threads but none of them solved my issue. I have a WesternDigital (WD) 640 GB External hard drive. Had it for about 2 years now and a few days ago it stopped working; First, It doesent show up in my computer also it wont show up in the Disk Management but the USB works because when i plug it in it recognizes it. BTW i am using a Windows Vista and my hard drive number is WDBAAA6400ABK-00 That is what it says on the case. HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Can you feel the disk spin up when you apply power?
If it spins up and the drive isn't showing in disk management, then the first thing to do is remove the disk from the USB enclosure and connect it directly to a SATA port on a desktop and see if it is identified correctly by model number in the BIOS.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
samsung s2 portable 1tb usb2.0 external hard drive won't work
I've been using my samsung s2 portable 1tb usb2.0 external hard drive for a while and its been fine but suddenly I can't access anything on it. I keep getting a message that say I need to format my F: drive but in order to do that it will need to erase my files on the drive, which i don't want to...
huand92 Hard Drive Support 23 10-02-2011 01:10 AM
External hard drive doesn't work
Just recently, my Western Digital external hard drive failed to work. It shows up in the "safely remove hardware" menu, and even states the drive letter it had when it was working (G). However, G doesn't appear in My Computer, and I have no way to access it at all. I have tried turning off the...
qwertzy12 Hard Drive Support 10 05-19-2011 12:37 PM
[SOLVED] Access though localhost works, but through external IP doesn't.
Hi, I am having this really annoying problem. I need remote access to certain programs on my home PC but I just cannot get it to work. Program: - webcamXP When I set the programs port preferences (i.e. port 8087), I can connect with "127.0.0.1:8087" and webcamXP work fine. But when I...
peterpan9988 Security and Firewalls 6 05-17-2011 02:41 AM
[SOLVED] External WD My Book Essential -- Can't get USB 2.0 to work
I have an older model WD My Book Essential 320gb external. It's the "green ring" button version. It is a USB 2.0 capable device. It is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard (Biostar TA790GX A3+). Operating system is Win7 Business x64. USB 2.0 is properly setup in BIOS. Other USB...
bushmogulmaster Hard Drive Support 4 04-09-2011 11:11 PM
External Harddrive wont work on mac
Well, First off, I am not too bright when it comes to using computers, I have a bit of a short fuse with technology. I have always used a PC in the past. Just recently I switched to Mac. I want to use my external hard drive with my mac but am running into some problems. The hard drive does show...
canada391 Mac Support 1 03-17-2011 10:16 PM