Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD External Harddrive / win explorer - no detection / device manager detects

This is a discussion on WD External Harddrive / win explorer - no detection / device manager detects within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a WD external hard drive Model WD10EAVS It suddenly stopped appearing after I mounted an encrypted partition in

Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a WD external hard drive Model WD10EAVS
It suddenly stopped appearing after I mounted an encrypted partition in it.
Now The device is detected when plugged in.. Makes the sound. Device manager refreshes and show Mass storage device.

It shows in the disc manager but cannot be initialized

It shows in the taskbar tray remove safe list.

It shows in the devices/printers list

And it is shown in device manager.. checked by disconnecting and it refershes by addng mass storage device when connected.

BUT NOT SHOWN IN MY COMPUTER

I followed the steps in the sticky topic using testdisk

I cant find it in it either.
Please help.. what should I do? Is it recoverable?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to SuperFlower Send a message via Skype™ to SuperFlower

Did you try to plug it in on another computer?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

No not yet...I will try.
I saw lots of similar threads about same model.. here
Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

are you able to right click the drive in diskmanagement and assign a letter to it?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Change drive letter is not available... as shown in the screenshot the disc cannot be initialized...
I had mounted a encrypted partion from it.. which i have been using for a long time.. the computer hung.. and i had to hard restart it.. since then.. its dead...
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Moderator hardware team

Sounds like something went wrong during the encryption process and now the drive is not accessible because its encrypted and the key is not working to decrypt it. You may have to use the WD diagnostic program to "wipe" the drive with zeros and start over

Testdisk can't find encrypted partitions no data recovery tool can thats the point of encryption

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

That would kill all my data...? the encrypted partition was just 1 gb using folderlock ..

That is like a *.flk file you mount using folderlock.
when I mounted and it showed a new drive as usual and it hung!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Moderator hardware team

Again did you yet run the WD Diagnostics on the drive ? what was the results of the short test ? Do this FIRST before moving forward with anything else lets see if the drive is even working.

OK well now that we have the larger story and I assume you have no backups of this very important data ? OK then download r-studio run in demo mode scan the drive for few hours stop the scan "save" the scan session and see if it "finds" anything

Disk Recovery Software and Hard Drive Recovery tool for Windows

I fear the encryption process over wrote the main partition table with an encrypted one lets hope not the results are not good nor in your favor. The other possible scenario is the drive died just at that moment its hard to know for sure.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yes.. I did run wd diagnostic tool...
quick test was a PASS
Extended test failed to repair bad sectors.

In R-studio the drive is shown.. but when selected.. the scan button is invalid.. I cant run scan on it.

When I listen to the drive.. it spins for like 1 min.. then pause for some time.. and spins again..
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Moderator hardware team

Drive sounds bad based on long test and sounds not sure how short test passed best guess is the area the encryption was setup was on failing sectors the perfect storm Send to a Pro for a quote if you need the data they may be able to get an image of it and possible data recovery

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Do you any reputed recovery firm in India. I have some very important project files in it. And I need full secure and private recovery.