Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD external hard Drive interfering in computers start up

This is a discussion on WD external hard Drive interfering in computers start up within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just purchased a Western Digital My Book 4TB external hard drive WDBF0040HBK-AESN. I am running Windows 10 when I start

Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Just purchased a Western Digital My Book 4TB external hard drive WDBF0040HBK-AESN. I am running Windows 10 when I start the computer it starts up then freezes during the startup process, I have tried this a number of times over the last 2 days with the same result. When I unplug the external hard drive and restart the computer it starts up as it should, i can the replug in the hard drive and go about business as usual. I have checked the drivers and they are up to date, unsure what to do any ideas would be much appreciated.
computer novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #2
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

G'day Computer Novice,
What happens when you turn on the WD External HD, after your computer is all fired up and operating?
How often do you use the WD External HD?
If you only use it for back ups and adding photos and files, there is no need to have it starting with Windows®; or even plugged in for that matter.
Have you been into the BIOS to check the boot order of Drives?
It should start with the Drive that has the Windows® 10, and have the External Drive listed well down the list; for instance, C:/ > CD/DVD >then the external, say G:/ or whatever.
There may also be a critical conflict of the WD External with the C:/ Boot Drive of your computer.
Post back with this information, and we will try and sort this issue out for you.
Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
chauffeur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Dave thanks for getting back to us. The first thing that comes up then freezes gives me option F9 express recovery F12 Boot menu then it stops there, when i press F12 it does nothing., so I cant get into Bios from there so I cannot tell you the order of the boot. I will only be using the hard drive for back ups but i would still like to get to the bottom of the problem. I tried to attach a pic but didnt allow me too or i dont know how. Cheers.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

When I plug in the hard drive after start up it work as is should the issue just seems to be on start up. Just figured out how to upload the pic this is the first thing I see when i turn on the comp and there it freezes and doesn't allow me to do any of the option I just have to to turn the comp off and disconnect the hd to start the comp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170107_204146.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	299073  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hello Again Computer Novice,
I see from the attachment, that for you to enter the BIOS you need to use the 'ESC' key.
From a cold start, as soon as you hit the power button, continually tap the 'ESC' key until it gives you the screen for the BIOS.
Once in there, check, and re-arrange as necessary, the boot order; make sure that its the O/S that boots first.
One point to note; have the external WD HDD connected, so that it is recognised by the BIOS.
Post back with the boot order, and if the external HD is being recognised by the BIOS.
Kind Regards,

Old 01-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Dave tried getting into BIOS through hitting ESC key repetitively on start up but got the same outcome, come up on the page in pic and froze tried it 3 times.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

I This is a pic of the Boot Menu without the WD hard drive connected, might help. Sorry upside down
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	299161  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

hit the delete key for bios, then find the boot order. I normally set mine for dvd 1st, hard drive 2nd, USB etc last. then use f12 if I want it to boot from a specific thing.
Almost sounds as though you have it set to boot from the USB.
kendallt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks Kendallt when on start up if the hard drive is connected it just freezes on the first pic (above) no matter how many times I hit delete it wont go to boot menu. My current boot menu is also in a pic above without the hard drive connected is there anything I should do differently there.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #10
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hello Computer Novice,
Do you still have a Floppy Disc Drive?
Whether you have one or not; is it possible to move anything listed in the Boot Menu.
If it is possible to change the list (using the Up and Down arrows); I suggest that you change the order to this:
1 Hard Disk
2 CD-ROM (That's the CD/DVD)
3 USB - HDD (This would be the WD External that you have)
If you can change the Boot Order to my suggestion (without connecting the WD External);
Alter the Order > reboot the computer > let us know how it starts....Don't forget to "save" the changes before you exit The Boot Order.
All the other listed objects are old items and not generally used today.

How old is your computer?
With the Boot Order showing things like LS120; Zip Drives; Floppy Disk Drives and Legacy LAN, makes me think that this machine is back in time to Windows® XP.
I also note that in the first pic, it states that you have a "Dual BIOS"; excuse my ignorance but, what do you want with a "Dual BIOS"?
Would it be possible for you to post the make and model of your computer, and if it is a Desktop, or Laptop machine?
Which Windows® Operating System did you use before upgrading to Windows®10?
Please post back with this info and we will take it from there.
Kind Regards,

Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

I tried to change BIOS with he arrow button but that just moves the the blue block that hi-lights up and down when I pressed + Hard Drive I when to the Hard Disc page (see pic) I pressed on the top option ST3100052AS then that when to a trouble shooting page saying Windows didn't start up properly (see additional pic). No I don't have a floppy disc never had. Computer is about 6 years old but still starts up quickly, I brought it from a computer shop they built it to what I'd said I'd use the computer for. I have no idea what Dual Bios is as I would usually go into anything like this. I have also posted pics of the Computers System info. Some pics will be posted below could get them all attached to this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	51
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	299305  
Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	299321  
Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Is this the same External WD drive as this thread? WD External Hard Drive Not Reconized & Won't Power Down
If so, please do not post more then one thread about the same problem.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Is this the same External WD drive as this thread? WD External Hard Drive Not Reconized & Won't Power Down

If so, please do not post more then one thread about the same problem.

No that was a different thread that I resolved by buying a new hard drive which is the one that Iam having issues with I closed the other thread this one is still active.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

I currently have Windows 10 previously Windows 8 I think it came with Windows 7.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	51
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	299337  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
Registered Member

Another pic of system info. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	299345  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

It's not uncommon for some computers to not boot properly when some types of USB hardware are attached.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks Jim, so should I just put up with it and unplug it every time I want to turn the computer on. Previously I did have a 500 GB hard drive by Western Digital same brand as my new 4 TB and I didn't have this trouble.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #19
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Someone may find a solution, I just wanted to point out that it's not always possible to fix this problem.

Assuming it can't be fixed, the drive may not need to be disconnected each time, just not powered on (unless it's a USB powered model). Or you could simply get another external drive (preferably one with a power switch).

I will also add that most external drives are not meant to powered on 24x7. Most external cases aren't ventilated well which causes the drive to run warm/hot. Heat shortens the lifespan. If you need always on access consider using internal drives (preferred and will have better performance), getting an external model that is ventilated (ie: fan cooled), or switching to a NAS type unit.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

That's what I always understood, they shouldn't be left on all the time, so I've always turned them of.
The last two externals I've purchased though, don't have switches. Seagate 4tb usb 3.0 and a wd my cloud 4tb, that last one can understand as it's intended as NAS.
Seems as though they've decided to get rid of the switch and have them sleep instead.
kendallt is online now   Reply With Quote