Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD External Drive No Longer Accessible

This is a discussion on WD External Drive No Longer Accessible within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The drive is a WD My Book Premium Edition (WD5000KS). I'm running WinXP Home SP3. The drive has been running

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

The drive is a WD My Book Premium Edition (WD5000KS).
I'm running WinXP Home SP3.

The drive has been running without problems for over a year, and is (of course!) 4 months past the warranty date.

The first sign of a problem was a message saying "E:\$mft delayed write failed". This appeared several times. At first the drive seemed to be fully accessible; then I could access folders but they appeared empty; and finally all access to the drive failed, with messages such as "cannot copy", "cannot find the specified file", and "E:\is not accessible. Error performing inpage operation."

After this My Computer was very slow to load, and attempts to access the E drive often caused My Computer to freeze.

I searched Google for answers and came across this forum, and specifically the posting of Fatalic under the heading "WD My Book Not Recognized". The reply to this post by calcul8 seemed applicable, so I followed his instructions.

First I reinstalled the drive, without improvement.

I then downloaded DLGDiag and ran it.
SMART showed as PASS.
Quick Test failed.
I ran the extended test, and received a message about bad sectors.
Chose repair.
The extended test then showed as PASS, but a repeat of the Quick Test still showed failed.

Test results are shown in the screenshots below.

The drive still showed in My Computer, but still couldn't be accessed.

I again reinstalled the drive, again without regaining access.

The data on this drive isn't absolutely crucial, but I'd love to know if there is an easy way to access or at least to view the folders and files.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Result 01.png
Views:	31
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	38405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Result 02.png
Views:	36
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	38406  

Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Try the demos of R-Studio and Stellar Phoenix and see if that can read anything. Might not be bad sectors per se, but a head issue causing bad reads. If either of the softwares find anything in the scan, then you can purchase them to do the actual recovery. DO NOT recover tot he same drive however, as you could overwrite parts of the found files causing them to end up corrupted.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

I ran Testdisk this morning following the instructions in the sticky, but without success. Following the link given in that post I then ran Testdisk again and had it repair the MFT. Again, no joy.

I will try the demos you mention and see what happens.

If everything fails and I finally decide to dispose of the drive, I am wondering whether it will be possible to use WD's DLGDiag to write zeros over the data. I'm assuming that if I can't access it under Windows to read/write, then I won't be able to reformat it either.

Roger
Old 12-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks again for the tip, Raptor. The demo versions of both programs are able to see and probably recover the files. Since I only need to recover NTFS files, R-Studio is cheaper.

Now I have to decide on a new external drive. Probably not a WD!

Roger
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

I also have a similar problem. My computer no longer sees my WD My Book Premium 500GB USB drive. This occured after rebooting my computer, I have tried disconnecting it from the computer and reconnecting. The drive would not start when I unplugged the power and reconnected it it unless the USB connection was also removed. Once powered up connecting the drive to the computer via the USB calbe did nothing. The computer does not see it at all. It was working fine before the reboot. Subsequent rebooting has had no effect. I have had problems like this before, but was always able to recover it by powering down the drive and then re-powering it.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Please start a new thread for your issue so we can provide individual support. Also run the western digital diagnostics on the drive to verify this is not a physical problem.