Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD EXT HDD unallocated and write protected

This is a discussion on WD EXT HDD unallocated and write protected within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My HDD went Kaput on me, after I unplugged it. It shows in Disk Management as DISK 2 unallocated. The

Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

My HDD went Kaput on me, after I unplugged it. It shows in Disk Management as DISK 2 unallocated. The HDD cannot be intilazied because write protected.
However, I dont want to intilazie it because it would erase the half full HDD.
I have tried:
-Have deleted the drivers unplugged rebooted nothing helps
-Regedit HKLM/sys/CCS/Control/StorageDevicePolicies set WrtieProtect to 0
I have removed the value and readded. NO LUCK
-Diskpart. In DIskPArt the volume can not be selected
-Attrib cmd. Cannot seem to unwrite protect the disk
- A few Programs which cannot recover because it is write protected. The drive only spins on initial setup/ plugin.

I am open to Ideas. I would like to try options of recovering the 2TB Drive as I am apposed to complete Format and erasure.

Thanks For any help!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Moderator hardware team

First thing you need to specify the exact model of your drive or better provide a link to the wd website that leads to your specific model. 2nd did you use the smartware app ? Encryption ? Protected by a password ? 3rd Have you run the WD diagnostics on the drive ?
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...sid=30&lang=en

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=260]WD Elements Desktop
1021 2TB model: WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

I ran the Smart Diagnostic. Well, it said Too many bad sectors. Also, had no data ouput for having the smart protocol at all. Sounds like hell to me. I want to salvage it. It spins and sounds fine on startup. After the initial connect (it that is a true connection) it has me and everything locked out. Shows 2TB in properties has no Drive letter. in Disk Management says unallocated needs to be initialized. Cannot be intialized as it is write protected. again No spin at this point. Am I in denial? Loosing a tb of data is hard to process.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Also no protection was used on the drive. I think it was NTFS. I had one problem with the file system and fixed it with clearing the attributes. No password, No encryption. I had the data sorted in a brutal fashion of folders and sub folders.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
Moderator hardware team

This is the link to your model WD Elements Desktop ? WD Elements Desktop

Many WD have encryption built into the USB interface board inside the enclosure which when the drive is removed doesn't allow you access to the data however I don't see encryption mentioned in what I see on the web link. The next bigger issue is the fact the drive is spinning back down which is the main issue not allowing access to the drive. If you remove it you void the warranty (if its still under warranty) or the other option is sending to a WD authorized recovery company for data recovery thus not voiding warranty.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

What does all this mention of removing the HDD? I can I do that and still use the drive? Do You have to have a new enclosure? And where can I get one to test( fi that is what you mean) which supports 2tb for as little as possible?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Moderator hardware team

wess0824 in your first post you said you were open to ideas but this last post you seem to have an issue with removing the drive! Nobody is making you do anything its just an option for troubleshooting the drive to determine if its the drive or the usb to sata controller inside the external enclosure. I can tell you right now your chances of DIY recovery are slim at best with this new 2TB drive. If the drive is under warranty then RMA a new drive and be done with the problem. You have to have a desktop PC with a sata port to connect the drive to for testing if you don't have that then I am sure you may come up with a friend or someone that you can work with to test out the drive.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Would a esata to sata cable work? I ask this because I only have a Laptop with an esata port. other than that IDK. I thank you for the time you have given to be of help, NETWORKS.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
Moderator hardware team

I don't think it will unless you have an adapter that goes from e-stata to sata to connect the drive. An adapter to connect the drive to the laptop would suffice but hdd diagnostics and data recovery over usb never seems to work out very well for many reasons.