Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

WD 2T HDD and kingwin dock master II

This is a discussion on WD 2T HDD and kingwin dock master II within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I store a lot of stuff on my drives. Been using seagate with kingwin dock master II. Everything works fine.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

I store a lot of stuff on my drives. Been using seagate with kingwin dock master II. Everything works fine.

I recently bought a 2T WD green (WD20EARX). Plug it into the internal and it works fine. Using a WD external case and it works fine. But when I plug it into the dock master II, the computer won't see it.

I know the drive is fine. Why wouldn't it work with the kingwin dock?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Strange indeed., and I can think of no reason why it's not being detected.
No information regarding that on their website either, I just checked.
At first I thought maybe a 2TB drive was above the dock's limit, but it's not (you can put drives up to 3TB into it).

You might want to send an email to Kingwin's tech support, explaining your problem: techsupport@kingwin.com

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Make sure the power adapter is the correct one that came with the dock. An incorrect Power Supply will cause this problem. Be sure you are plugging the power plug directly into the wall socket and not a Surge Protector or Extension cord, as this diminishes the power. Be sure you are plugging the USB cable into the Back USB port of the computer and not through the front or though a Hub as this also diminishes the power.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, people. I solved it. It was a matter of changing it to gpt to get it recognized.

Now, I ran into a whole new problem. The docks' specs say up to 3T. But when I attempt to put in a 3T drive, only 765gb or so shows up. Already sent a couple emails to kingwin. Let see if I have to update driver or something.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

With your 3TB drive plugged in to the dock, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. What does Disk Management say the size of the drive is? Is there Unallocated Space on the Drive?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
With your 3TB drive plugged in to the dock, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. What does Disk Management say the size of the drive is? Is there Unallocated Space on the Drive?

Pretty self explanatory.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes it is self explanatory, so, I'll explain it anyways.
The two 3TB drives are showing up as RAW file system. If you have data on the drives and they are readable on another enclosure, then store the data that is on those drives to another drive. Put each 3TB drive into the dock separately (as the dock may not be able to power up two 3TB drives at the same time) and go to Disk Management. If it says the drives are still RAW, then right click Drive 5 (or 6 whatever) and choose to Initialize the drive. At that point you can right click the partition and choose to Format Volume NTFS. Once it is formatted, you can recover the files to the drive.
I notice drive 6 has Unallocated Space. You can right click the Unallocated Space and create a simple volume here, if you want 2 partitions or, once the the O: drive is formatted, you can right click the O: drive Extend the O: drive into the Unallocated Space to make it the full size of the drive. Or Right click the O: drive and Delete the Volume and then all of the space will be Unallocated, then right click the Unallocated Space and create a new Simple Volume and Format it NTFS.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Yes it is self explanatory, so, I'll explain it anyways.
The two 3TB drives are showing up as RAW file system. If you have data on the drives and they are readable on another enclosure, then store the data that is on those drives to another drive. Put each 3TB drive into the dock separately (as the dock may not be able to power up two 3TB drives at the same time) and go to Disk Management. If it says the drives are still RAW, then right click Drive 5 (or 6 whatever) and choose to Initialize the drive. At that point you can right click the partition and choose to Format Volume NTFS. Once it is formatted, you can recover the files to the drive.
I notice drive 6 has Unallocated Space. You can right click the Unallocated Space and create a simple volume here, if you want 2 partitions or, once the the O: drive is formatted, you can right click the O: drive Extend the O: drive into the Unallocated Space to make it the full size of the drive. Or Right click the O: drive and Delete the Volume and then all of the space will be Unallocated, then right click the Unallocated Space and create a new Simple Volume and Format it NTFS.
I don't think I made myself clear. The unallocated and allocated spaces should add up to 3T. But anyway, here's another screen shot.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You made yourself clear. So, now that the drive is no longer RAW (you initialized it, I guess) then you can Right click and Delete the Volume making all the space Unallocated and Create a new Simple Volume, it should give you the full size of the drive. If not, and you can access all of the 3TB using another enclosure, then that Dock does not support 3Tb drives and you should contact them,.