Installed Physical Ram Not Available ??? It is there 2x 1024Mb DDR 3
Total Physical Memory 1.93 Gb
Available Physical Memory 1.35 Gb
Total Virtual Memory 4.12 Gb
Available Virtual Memory 3.13 Gb
Page File Space 2.13 Gb
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

History

The Computer we are discussing is an old refurbished windows XP system in a mini ITX case. It previously came with 512Mb of Ram and a Floppy Drive, I upgraded the Floppy drive to a floppy drive / card reader, and now have removed that to add a second hard drive. I have also Upgraded the Ram to 2Gb DDR3 2x 1024.

Scenario

After Adding Second Hard Drive from NAS, for format, VIA RAID Controller reports 3149

Further Information from Drive

Install State 00000000

DevNode status
DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Problem Code 0000000A
Location information PCI bus 0,device 15, function 0
Driver Node Strong Name
oem4.inf:VIA:viamraid:5.1.7600.593:pci\ven_1106&dev_3149&cc_0104
Driver Assembly Date 23/02/10
Driver Assembly Version 5.1.7600.593

Bus Type guid (c8ebdfb0-b510-11d0-80e5-00a0c92542e3)

I think that's everything that's relevant.

Any help would be most appriciated

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Go to the manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in the model# and download the Chipset and Storage (RAID) driver for your model. http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl
Installed Physical Ram Not Available ??? It is there 2x 1024Mb DDR 3.....Total Physical Memory 1.93 Gb.
This is the supported memory for that board
Memory Support DDR400/333/266
Boot into Setup (Bios) in the Main page make sure that all the Memory is listed. Also both HDD's. If the second HDD is not listed, make sure it's Data port (SATA or IDE) is Enabled in the Bios.

#7 ·
You can download the drivers you need and save them to a USB flash drive to install to the troubled computer.
In the Bios go to Hard Disk Priority, this is different then the Boot tab, and make sure that the SATA port the drive is plugged into is Enabled.

#9 ·
Hard Disk Boot Priority ?
1.Ch0 S. : WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1
2.Bootable Add-in Cards

Clicking on the link you gave me on this computer gives me the following result
We are sorry that no driver available for the selected type you may try to contact mkt@viatech/com to check if the driver released

#12 ·
With the HDD mode set to IDE in the Bios, with the secondary drive installed, do you see it listed in Hard Disk Priority. If not then there is a problem with the drive, SATA cable, SATA port the drive is plugged into or the power plug.
If you can't boot with the drive set to IDE then you would have to reinstall Windows or do a Repair Install of Windows XP
If you leave the HDD mode set to RAID or AHCI, Then you have to install the SATA driver from the Via web page, VIA Drivers and Support Packages Download

#13 ·
That's the thing I already re installed windows, in fact I updated windows from the old XP OS to Vista anticipating that XP would not support both IDE and SATA on separate channels at the same time. The IDE HDD boots fine (the one with the OS on it) in RAID mode, butr the bios is not seeing the SATA drive at all. I need a way to connect the sata drive to the VISTA cdesktop while it is RAID Mode so I can format the sata drive.

The Ultimate goal being to formate 4x 2Tb Sata drives from my NAS, as my Iomega ix4-200d keeps getting stuck at 0% when I try to erase the drives

#16 ·
This is intresting, Just cleard the BIOS again after removing jumper from IDE hard drive, and the computer is now booting to post and saying "Floppy disk(s) fail (40) CMOS checksum error - Defaults Loaded
Warning! CPU had been changed or CPU Ratio changed fail. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit! "
well I never seen this message before, so I could do with some advice on this as well please, Is it asking for the cpu speed ? or the clock speed ?

#17 ·
Update, So I got access to the BIOS now, and the computer is booting up, but now I am getting the same error on both the IDE HDD and the SATA

Both devices in the device manager are saying they cannot start, well the OS is on the IDE so I know thats working, so I am thinking this is not a hardware fault, rather a config error or driver error

#19 ·
Yes though I am not entirely sure if I am downloading the correct drivers,

the device name is VIA RAID Controller 3149, but it is not listed anywhere on that page, the closest is the 6410 and that didn't work.

I am assuming using a non activated version of windows will not effect the HDD drivers in anyway ? I am not bothering with the activation because one the version of vista is a copy and two I will be putting linux on the computer after I format these Sata HDD's If I ever get that far.
So I would think the 30 day limited access period would be fine for a drive format ?

#22 · (Edited)
Just cleard the BIOS again after removing jumper from IDE hard drive
If you just need to Format the SATA drive get a USB Adapter or put it into a USB Enclosure with a power adapter, boot into XP and it will come up as a drive in Disk Management, then you can format it there.
When you clear the Bios, you have to reset the Bios settings since there will now be a Check Sum error (eg) Defaults will be loaded. Boot into Setup (Bios) and manually set the Bios to Default (sometimes is the F5 key)disable Floppy Seek etc
You must put the jumper pin on the IDE HDD. CS (Cable Select) is the best position as the Bios decides in what order to load it. If there are no other drives on the same IDE cable, you can set the jumper to Master. If the IDE HDD is quite old, and what IDE drive isn't? Then it will get Hot. If you remove the jumper then the drive is not booting and it will stay cool because it is not being accessed.
Set the Bios HDD mode to RAID or AHCI. Once you get the IDE drive to boot, then install the Via SATA-IDE-RAID driver from the download page, that should get the SATA drive recognized. If this fails, Since you just installed XP on the IDE drive, then set the Bios HDD mode to IDE, and Reinstall Windows on the IDE drive. Or do a Repair Install. Then both drives will show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.