Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB HDD causing system to freeze

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  elephant007 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have been using USB HDD and flashdrive for several years. Without warning (and without system change) in the past week these USB devices have caused my system to freeze and bring about the following error (no 111) in Event Viewer "RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library Generic Flash Disk USB Device."

I am running (fully updated) XP Home Ed (SP3) on Asrock K7S41 Mobo ... CPU AMD Athlon XP2200 .. 2Gig Ram.

To attempt to identify the problem, I replaced PSU; removed Graphics card and installed PCI USB card .. all to no avail. I am hoping that some forum members may be able to help.

Many Thanks.

#2 ·
Have you plugged it into another computer to see if the error happens on a different computer? If it follows the USB Hard Drive, try using a different USB cable. Does this hard drive use an external power source?

#4 ·
Dude, you spoiled it for me! HA HA
J/K, that's where I was going to eventually get, if all else fails, pull the hard drive out and check it

#6 ·
another thing you can do, if you don't have a USB Keyboard/Mouse is to get into device manager and delete everything under the Universal Serial Bus Controller. After everything is removed, reboot your computer, allowing enough time for the computer to find all the USB controllers and then plugging in your external hard drive again.. worth a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.