Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Upgraded from HDD to SSD

This is a discussion on Upgraded from HDD to SSD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've just installed a new SSD into my computer, with the intention of using my old HDD for storage. I

Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to eaglehound

I've just installed a new SSD into my computer, with the intention of using my old HDD for storage.

I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to have all the files from my HDD on the SSD and have set it up to boot from the SSD. I'm just unsure if I've done everything correctly, my PC feels much slower currently so I've probably missed out a few steps and cocked the whole thing up.

My disk management still also shows my old HDD as the boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition.

If I haven't cocked anything up yet, what are the next steps I'm supposed to take to get this all up and running properly?

I've attached the images of AOMEI and the disk management.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disk management.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	306490   Click image for larger version

Name:	partition assistant.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	306498  
eaglehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I'm not sure exactly what you did. I prefer cloning hdd to ssd. Sometimes the software is packaged with the new drive.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

As has been reported, it looks like you didn't Clone your HDD to the SSD. When you clone a drive, it wipes the Destination drive in the process before restoring the clone.
There is a partition on the SSD called E:\Backerupper. Looks like this partition was created previously either by the manufacturer or you, and then you restored an image to the remainder of the capacity of the SSD.
I would start again, this time use a well know cloning software like Acronis, or Macrium Reflect, create a Bootable CD or USB Flash drive in the software and boot to that to do the Clone operation to the SSD.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
I would start again, this time use a well know cloning software like Acronis, or Macrium Reflect, create a Bootable CD or USB Flash drive in the software and boot to that to do the Clone operation to the SSD.
Okay, so I've done all of this so far, what else needs to be done?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflect.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	306562  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

This looks good!
now boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, Move the SSD to First Boot Device, move the HDD lower in the Boot order or take it out completely of the boot order. Save and Exit.
You now should boot from the SSD. You can leave it as is. You can remove the HDD and keep it in a safe place as a backup if the SSD Fails, Or If after a few days or weeks, everything is working well, you can Format the HDD to regain the full capacity and use it as a storage drive.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Alright, that's made the SSD come up as the boot, page file, crash dump and primary partition.

So it'd be sensible to wait a few days to make sure everything is working well, then after that I can format my HDD to use for storage?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Correct.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Brilliant, thanks again guys, you've all been a great help.